Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bobbin winder rubber alternative ideas??? >

Bobbin winder rubber alternative ideas???

Bobbin winder rubber alternative ideas???

Old 03-30-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Smorris17119 View Post
RE: Singer model 66 treadle
It's Sat night, I have a quilt I have to work on and my bobbin winder rubber just disintegrated while I was winding up a bobbin. Does anyone know if a fat o ring would work for now, if so what size. Or any other ideas I could try. The only sewing machine store around closed for a week, but we do have a Home Depot.
I'll try all suggestions.
Thanks
Lots of really good ideas,
1 I've tried other machines to wind the bobbin and can't get enough traction to get it to wind.
2 I don't have another machine that the tire will fit.
3. Tried the rubber band idea, genius. I think it would work with the right rubber band maybe one of those thick red ones or somehow fusing rubber bands together to make a bond anyway I couldn't get it to work.
4 get a side winder, I might.
The number one solution: Take it off (needs to be cleaned anyway) and take it with me to Joanne's, HD, Lowes etc to see what they have.
Thanks for all your ideas they where interesting.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:09 AM

The rubber band idea was for emergency use only until you could get a tire. You'll probably find one at Joanne's. Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 AM

Sew-Classic has them and ship fast compared to other places. Buy a few spares. You got lucky when yours disintegrated. I had them turn gooey or stretch so they are loosey goosey.

Sew-Classics PN is: 15287, found here: { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Bobb...-Tires_c16.htm }

Joe
Old 03-30-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Smorris17119 View Post
RE: Singer model 66 treadle
It's Sat night, I have a quilt I have to work on and my bobbin winder rubber just disintegrated while I was winding up a bobbin. Does anyone know if a fat o ring would work for now, if so what size. Or any other ideas I could try. The only sewing machine store around closed for a week, but we do have a Home Depot.
I'll try all suggestions.
Thanks
UPDATE!!!!!!!!
This is fantastic
My husband went to the local hardware store as soon as they opened and picked up a 1/2 electrical grommet for .70 cents IT WORKS, matter of fact it works so well there's no need to replace it.
Thanks for all your help. I hope this threads helps someone else in a jam.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:02 PM

If your 127 has a bobbin tire, it should be the same size. I see you have it sorted now, so this is just for future knowledge I had been thinking there was a chance you could use the featherweight to wind, with a little help.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM

ooh! thanks for the tip. I live in an area where there is NO sewing stores or even fabric stores aside from the local WalMart. But we do have like 2 home improvement stores and an Electrical store (Codale). LOL I'll have to mosey on over and check out their grommets.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 AM

O-rings are often custom sized by cutting to the desired length with a razor blade, and glued with a drop of crazy glue. If you can find one the desired thickness, but large, you can make several. They will be a bit lumpy if you don't align exactly til the glue sets. Don't sticky your fingers, eyelids, etc together!
Old 07-25-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
You might consider a sidewinder if you have a place to get one in case you can't get the part.
Do those generic Simplicity sidewinders work with the bobbins from the 66/99s? If so, I might get oen. Anyone with experience using one like this?
Old 06-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to sewing and registered to this wonderful board to say thank you so much for this thread. My bobbin winder stopped working and I needed a bobbin winder tire. Because of the suggestions given here my bobbin winder is working again! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and suggestions!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:18 AM

MaryTG I've used sidewinders a lot on 99s, and finageled them with others. They feel really cahep but mine has lasted longer than I thought it would.

cool beans about the grommet.