Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seam guide for sewing machine >

Seam guide for sewing machine

Seam guide for sewing machine

Old 03-29-2014, 05:06 PM

Default Seam guide for sewing machine

I watched the tutorial by Patrick Lose on binding a quilt and on his sewing machine was the neatest seam guide. I was wondering if any one knows anything about one like it. Some people said to use the magnet one but I have a computerized machine and don't want to put one on it. It looked like on that I had for a machine 50 yrs ago. It looked to be attached to the sewing foot arm some how. He just unscrewed it when he wanted to sew more. I have written Fons and Porter (that's whose show he was on) to see if they know anything about the gadget. Thanks if any one knows anything about the seam guide.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:31 PM

I think that's the old machines that have a screw hole for attachments. My old Kenmore has one, but my new Babylock does not. I use either a quarter inch foot, for piecing, or a pack of Post-it notes.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:45 PM

I have the new walking foot for Viking that has interchangeable feet and one of them is a 1/4 with a guide. It is really the best thing for attaching binding and things like that. I have used several pieces of card board that comes with bias tape and painters tape to attach it.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:11 PM

I use a Post-It-Note stack as my seam guide. When it no longer sticks, I peal off the bottom sheet and have a new sticky surface. I have the clued side towards the presser foot.

Inanna
Old 03-30-2014, 01:55 AM
Administrator

here are some different models of the guide type he's using:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/singer-seam-guide

if your machine has a little hole, to the right of the needle, on the metal plate, you will be able to use one.
they aren't expensive. they're easy to use once you have calibrated the position you need and made sure the guide is straight (parallel to your feed dogs.)
i think just about any brand would fit, but it's probably safest to search for one that includes your machine brand in the description/specifications.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:37 AM

I haven't seen the tute, but it sounds like one that I have for my Bernina. They are quite simple, really, just a hand screw into the bed of the machine.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 AM

Thank you for the link. As usual I learn something every day on this board.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 AM

I have two computerized machines, one is just a sewing machine and the other one is the top of the line sewing/emb machine and I use my magnent one on both machines for the past several yrs and have had no issues. The computerized part of the machines is so protected that the magnitized parts are never affected by it. You have to have the screw hole to use the screw on one, not all machines have it. Of all of my machines bought in the past 5yrs only my Viking Mega quilter has it but it also came with the seam guide too.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:46 AM

If it's the one I'm thinking your talking about ... (see link below on Bonnie Hunter's page) I use it every day on my Janome 6600. I love the "lead in space" that it gives me, it's incredibly "visible" (unlike the little tiny piece of metal on the 1/4" feet), and mine is wide enough to cover behind the foot and a good deal of "lead in" in front of the foot.

My consistency in 1/4" seams has improved dramatically since I started using it.

They're not only for vintage machines - check your machine, chances are pretty good that even it's a modern machine it has a screw hole.

http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2013...eam-guide.html
Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 AM

I have two Brother machines and a guide like this one.