Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ready to call this one a baller. >

ready to call this one a baller.

ready to call this one a baller.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 AM

I found after many frustrating failures that sometime it is because of how the fabric is cut, straight grain of biased. Then again....
Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 AM

I had this happen with a pattern once. The designer claimed that the pattern was accurate and people have used it without problem. So I checked the pattern that was all triangles and found out that the angles were off a couple of degrees. I figured that everyone else thought that the bias on the triangles caused it not to go together right. So it still could be your pattern.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 AM

This is indeed good advice! When I was in graduate school, I took a required math class. I'm fairly smart, but math has always been my weak spot. I had a lot of trouble with it, but usually 'got it' after a while. In grad school, any grade below a B was considered a failure, so I had to do well in the class.

One type of problem was giving me fits. It just wouldn't fit in my brain! There was a guy in the class - a math whiz - who offered to help me. We spent about 2 hours trying to pound that little bit of math into my brain. Finally, I said to him, "If I haven't gotten it by now, I never will." and called it quits.

Driving home I had a very strange experience. I actually felt the world move just a bit - no exaggeration, I really felt movement (Note that no earthquake was reported in the area), and my brain flooded with understanding for that particular bit of math!

I was absolutely delighted, thrilled and excited! When I got home, I told DH what happened, then called my friend to tell him what happened! Best of all, the next day I passed the test! God got a huge thank you for that one!

Sometimes we just have to get out of our own way and let our brain work on a problem in the background.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 AM

I am also working on a FLW quilt that I hope will be my husbands' birthday present. He loves FLW architecture. I have never seen such a pattern and ever would have bought it if I could have previewed it. The width and quantity of several cut sections aren't given, though they can be determined by looking ahead (at least I hope they can because that's what I'm doing). Also, none of the illustrations have measurements and the direction don't have dimensions of component blocks. What a disappointment.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 AM

i looked at it again this morning. there are a couple of problems, and they are probably due to the combination of my skills and the machines i am using, though between the 3 you would think one could do this kind of work. maybe not.

the seams matches are pulling the fabric. despite very careful pressing, when i come to a three seam intersection, it is either stretching the black piping or pulling the .75" square out of whack. then when i go to join them up the lines look wonky enough to be noticeable.

one or two threads off is making a huge difference when lining up these little tiny pieces. that would be my fault, but i have been as accurate in my stitching as i can right now. i think what i'm going to do is get rid of these tiny stained glass panel pieces and run the colours in longer stretches instead.

if you are a very, very precise quilter, probably with some experience doing miniature quilts, these won't be a problem for you. the criticisms of the pattern hold true. because she doesn't provide finished dimensions for elements, you either have to do the math work ahead or follow her directions without deviation.

i think my finished product will be okay, but i took this project on to help me improve accuracy and precision. i'm just not ready for it yet i guess and mabe i won't ever be. but you're right - no project should cause this level of unhappiness. i'm going to make the pattern adjustments, swallow my disappointment in myself and move on.

the chevrons went together beautifully. and i suspect the whole quilt will look fine. i'm always going to know what's missing, but no one else will. and that's okay too.

aileen
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 AM

I would put it away for a few days and then come back to work on it. Sometimes if you take a break from the quilt you are working on and come back to work on it again it seem to go together better.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Have you tried using elmers washable glue stick to match points up before you sew? I've never made a quilt as intricate as the one you're making, so can't say whether it will help you or not. But it's cheap and you really won't be any worse off if it doesn't work than you are now, so it's worth a try.

I made a quilt for my DGD that, no matter what I did, never matched up. I named it "The quilt from hell". I think she liked the name more than the quilt!
I was going to suggest the same thing..couldn't hurt..
Old 03-30-2014, 03:15 PM

i am not going to attempt another set of these tiles, opting for long thin coloured strips that will echo the colours in the chevrons. four sets, same results? done.

no one will know the quilt was supposed to have these extraordinary little panels. i loved them, but maybe in a few years i'll have figured it out. right now i want it done instead

thanks for all your help!

aileen
Old 03-30-2014, 03:56 PM

I'm so happy you have worked this through. You might consider cutting the paper pieces and fitting them together. It's a shame there are so many problems with the patterns. They are quite striking. Knock this one off my todo list. I get frustrated enough with easy patterns.... Joyce in DE
Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
i am not going to attempt another set of these tiles, opting for long thin coloured strips that will echo the colours in the chevrons. four sets, same results? done.

no one will know the quilt was supposed to have these extraordinary little panels. i loved them, but maybe in a few years i'll have figured it out. right now i want it done instead

thanks for all your help!

aileen

Could you possibly do it with paper piecing?

Deb