Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
used Babylock BLDC2 - should I buy? >

used Babylock BLDC2 - should I buy?

used Babylock BLDC2 - should I buy?

Old 03-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Default used Babylock BLDC2 - should I buy?

I am looking for a travel machine for taking to classes, and last night the hubby agreed to spending around $300 on one since my other option was spending $220 on a Tutto bag big enough to lug my Creative Performance around... and I am nervous carrying that expensive/heavy machine to class.

The only used machine I found locally that looks like something I would be interested in is a Babylock Decorator's Choice (BLDC2) that I found on Craigslist. The seller says it was purchased in 2007 or 2008 and she does sew much anymore, so she is selling it. I asked when it was serviced last, and she said it was serviced in the fall when she decided to make some skirts.

Do you guys think this is worth buying? I am not sure if $350 is a good price. It looks like they don't make this model anymore, and it was somewhere around $800 to $1000 originally from what I have been able to find while googling. It has been listed for a couple months, so maybe I could get it for less. What do you guys think is a fair price? Or should I pass it up?

Link to machine: http://babylock.com/sewing/decorator-choice/

(and bonus points to anyone that can find the weight of this machine)

Thanks!!

Last edited by romille; 03-30-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:04 PM
JT

I am on my 4th Janome...not that they are bad, but I keep going for bells and whistles. I currently have the 7700 Horizon and my travel machine the 3160 QDC, only 12 pounds and works like a charm. This one new is about $500, but I would highly recommend it, sven if you got a used one. Check it out at a Janome shop and see if they have any used or would sell a shop model (floor display). Quilt shows are also a great way to check out all the machines.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:16 PM

I would buy it, (but then I have 2 BabyLocks now). I have a Decorator's Choice, but it is older than the one you are looking at. I've had it at least 10 yrs now, and paid around 1,100 (on sale). I bought a smaller BabyLock Grace last year.
I love both machines. I stuck the Decorator's Choice on my bathroom scale, and she came up at 15 lbs. The cover and the foot would probably add another lb to it, so I would say around 16 lbs.
I have not had any problems with either machine, and she travels really well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing machine.jpg
Views:	2522
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	469452  
Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Thanks for checking the weight for me, I couldn't find it anywhere. ~15 pounds sounds great for a travel machine. I double checked the ad and the seller said they payed $600 for it originally, so I am wondering if it is really worth $350 after 6 years of use. I think I will try calling the local Baby Lock dealer tomorrow and get their opinion, and maybe ask about a bench check.

The 3160 QDC was also on my radar, but unfortunately it is out of the price range for the secondary machine. It is almost worth spending the extra money to get a new machine with a warranty, but it isn't in the cards right now considering what we spent on my Pfaff a few months ago (hubby is still getting over the sticker shock!). Maybe if I end up using it a lot, I can later justify getting a brand new travel machine.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:11 PM

I think it would make a nice travel/class machine. I have the BLQC2 (now known as the Melody) which is essentially the same machine with extra stitches, an extension table, & walking foot, and I'm quite happy with it. The Decorator's Choice is now called "Elizabeth", if that helps you for comparison's sake. You should have a look at it and try it out, get a feel for how it's been treated, and whether it's a good fit for you.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:18 AM

It sounds like an okay price, I sold mine which was newer for $500 a couple years ago. I am a buy from a dealer person, in case of issues with the machine, but it is a good little machine.
Babylock changed names of their machines, I believe that the Decorators Choice is now the Elizabeth? It has a girls name anyway.
Have you checked with any dealers for used machines?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Check eBay "completed listings" to see what the model has sold for there. eBay prices tend to be higher than local prices simply because there are so many more buyers. A rule-of-thumb for me would be not to pay more than 50% of original purchase price for a sewing machine 6 years old.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by romille View Post
I am looking for a travel machine for taking to classes, and last night the hubby agreed to spending around $300 on one since my other option was spending $220 on a Tutto bag big enough to lug my Creative Performance around... and I am nervous carrying that expensive/heavy machine to class.

The only used machine I found locally that looks like something I would be interested in is a Babylock Decorator's Choice (BLDC2) that I found on Craigslist. The seller says it was purchased in 2007 or 2008 and she does sew much anymore, so she is selling it. I asked when it was serviced last, and she said it was serviced in the fall when she decided to make some skirts.

Do you guys think this is worth buying? I am not sure if $350 is a good price. It looks like they don't make this model anymore, and it was somewhere around $800 to $1000 originally from what I have been able to find while googling. It has been listed for a couple months, so maybe I could get it for less. What do you guys think is a fair price? Or should I pass it up?

Link to machine: http://babylock.com/sewing/decorator-choice/

(and bonus points to anyone that can find the weight of this machine)

Thanks!!
I have had a decorators choice since 2010. I love it. I do a lot of sewing and use it almost everyday. The best machine i have had.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:31 AM

I bought a BLDC approximately 15 years ago and loved it. Then it started giving me problems with the sewing. Back to the dealer who fixed it and it worked well for a time. The needle threader was for me the best in the business. I'm sure a lot of my problems with the machine were operator error. I'm not good at fixing stuff. I finally bought another machine, a Brother (can't remember the model) but it worked great for me. Long story short, a year ago my DIL's SIL wanted a machine and couldn't afford one so I gave her my BL. Haven't had much feedback from her but a lot of personal family problems have overtaken her. Short story is I would offer a lower price for the machine and see if that works. Good Luck.