Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing embroidery machine? >

Sewing embroidery machine?

Sewing embroidery machine?

Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 AM

I bought a Husqvarna Viking Serger recently. Didn't notice where it was made until after I got it home. Box says "made in Vietnam". I didn't realize that they are not made in Sweden anymore.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 AM

I have a Bernina 830, my husband surprised me with one when they first came out.!! Love it!!! Does great embroidery and stitches wonderful. the learning curve is not too bad.
Enjoy!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 AM

I have a Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold machine and love, love, love it. I, like you had a hard time making up my mind. Babylock is very user friendly and that's what swayed me. It's an investment, but so worth it! I think I would try before you buy.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 AM

with the Janome you don't need big attachments, only your hoops. I also got the clothsetter which helps lineup designs in the hoop and also becomes an extension to your machine
Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 AM

I bought a used Bernina Artista sewing/embroidery machine from a friend who could not remember how to use it. I have taught myself with the instruction manual. The manual is NOT user friendly and I would not buy another Bernina without also getting lessons on how to use it because I know there is so much more the Bernina can do but the manual is so awful that I can't figure it out. I have a Janome Quilters Edition that I bought online and just love - the manual is very user friendly and I can't complain about anything except the needle threader!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM

I have an 8 year old Janome 9700--I love it!!! It has never given me any problems. The new "upgrade" is the Janome 9900. I tried it and want it. Not as expensive as the 12000, but it does everything except cook dinner... I have had a variety of machines over the years and the combo (embroidery/sewing) is the best idea ever and I am and will now always be a Janome Girl...
Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Barbara
Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM

I have a Bernina 440 QE; in the shop for service right now, due to embroidery module not working with the software. I like the "old" Singers. My mom has a Bernina Artista (cannot remember model #), but she uses it like she gets out of bed; every day! She has had no problems with it. I liked my Brother; but the handwheel literally flew off!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 PM

Brother/Babylock is the easiest to navigate and the quality of the embroidery is impressive. I've had a Viking Diamond and a Pfaff Creative Vision - hated the Vision and the Diamond just was too hard - B/B has all the bells and whistles and still is intuitive. Don't buy anything until you sew with it. I've been embroidering for many years, so when I say it's hard I mean it is just easier to do with the B/B
Old 04-01-2014, 02:00 PM

I have the Bernina 830 and love it. If I had to do it over again, I would do the exact same thing.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltforfun View Post
I have an 8 year old Janome 9700--I love it!!! It has never given me any problems. The new "upgrade" is the Janome 9900. I tried it and want it. Not as expensive as the 12000, but it does everything except cook dinner... I have had a variety of machines over the years and the combo (embroidery/sewing) is the best idea ever and I am and will now always be a Janome Girl...
Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Barbara
Exactly what I did! You will LOVE the 9900 if you buy it. I loved my 9700 too but I was ready for an upgrade.
sandy