Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making half square triangles question >

Making half square triangles question

Making half square triangles question

Old 04-02-2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
When I do HST's I add a full inch to the FINISHED size of square that I want (i.e., 3.5" finished HST block gets CUT at 4.5"). I lay the two squares right sides together, draw a diagonal line down the center of the square and sew 1/4" on either side. Cut; press. Yes, I have to trim them down but whether it's my sewing that is not accurate or my initial cutting that is not accurate, I get a very accurate HST with this method. I've never had luck with Thangles and haven't tried the other methods that you mention. I place my 45 degree line on the sewn center line of the HST and trim to the correct size from that measurement. It's a very tedious process to be sure but it's the one that works best for me. But it was a good excuse to buy a rotating cutting mat!
This is how I do it too!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 AM

for 2 1/2 in I use two 6 in sqs. For each size larger add 2 in to sqs. Draw an x and sew down both sides of lines 1/4 in.
Cut in half both ways then on lines. Makes 8 HSTs. Just needs a small trim up. I use Quilt In A Days triangle sq up ruler that only needs one cut. Joanns with coupon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt uncut for 2 in tri.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	469742  
Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 AM

One of my friends now used the Creative Grids 45/90 degree ruler only for HST's. I do believe she uses Best Press before cutting. She loves it as the HST's come out perfect.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 AM

You should purchase the Triangulation CD. Its wonderful for 1/2 sq triangles and others (flying geese, etc.). Its about $30 but well worth it. You will get paper piecing patterns for triangles in every size and you will have little waste. You definitely need to have a computer and a printer, and like to paper piece. They are fast and absolutely perfect every time. If I were to make them the traditional way, I would make them larger and square them up. I found to have better results that way. I would rather waste a little fabric then have my triangles too small and not so perfect.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:49 AM

Here's a method on Craftsy that many of us use - no rulers (except to draw a straight line) or special templates. No leaving bias edges to join to other pieces. I make a little larger and trim down.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/01/...are-triangles/

Here's how to get from 2 to eight of the same 2 fabrics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]469759[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HSTs.gif.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	469759  
Old 04-02-2014, 10:03 AM

Yup, Triangulations is the easiest, most accurate (IMHO) and best at no trimming. What a time saver.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
When I do HST's I add a full inch to the FINISHED size of square that I want (i.e., 3.5" finished HST block gets CUT at 4.5"). I lay the two squares right sides together, draw a diagonal line down the center of the square and sew 1/4" on either side. Cut; press. Yes, I have to trim them down but whether it's my sewing that is not accurate or my initial cutting that is not accurate, I get a very accurate HST with this method. I've never had luck with Thangles and haven't tried the other methods that you mention. I place my 45 degree line on the sewn center line of the HST and trim to the correct size from that measurement. It's a very tedious process to be sure but it's the one that works best for me. But it was a good excuse to buy a rotating cutting mat!
This is how I do it too. Yes I have to trim to get the finished square but I don't see it as a time waster because I don't have to spend extra time trying to make them fit or ripping out when they don't because I have perfectly aligned HST to begin with. Besides that, I'm not in a race to begin with. I'm making a quilt right now that is entirely HST and it is coming together beautifully. You don't need a bunch of special rulers to do a lot of things, especially HST.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:47 AM

This process is not a lot of extra work if you want your block EXACT. Consider all of the steps to making a block: Cutting, sewing 1/4 inch (precisely), pressing the block (not ironing, for God's sake!) After all of this, not matter how meticulous you are in your process, sometimes the block is just not spot-on. Maybe the fabric is is not of excellent quality, and it stretches a bit. Maybe your 1/4 inch is off a bit. Maybe your cutting was not exact. By making the pieces larger, when you're done, you can cut the block exactly to size.

Remember: Quilting is a wonderful journey, and each step is as important as the next. When everything comes together at the end, and you have a wonderfully executed finished product, all the painstaking care, (and sometimes seam-ripping anguish) is worth it! Enjoy the journey!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
I love, love Triangulations. It's a software that prints out a paper sheet that will make many, many at a time and they are perfect. No trimming needed. You put your two fabrics, right sides together, lay the printed paper (I use doodle pads, very easy to tear off) on top and pin, then sew. There is also some free online you can use to print out the grid. Most of the basic sizes. Depending on size you can make 24 at a time, but they are the same. I am a scrappy girl so I handled this by organizing a swap for 2" hst, saving 6 for myself I traded the others, making many sets with different fabrics. I have a postage box full of 2" hst after making an Ocean Waves which used 4,000 of them. I am now making 2 1/2" hst for a split nine patch and I am making them with the Easy Angle ruler by Sharon Hulgren. It has that 1/4" built in and works well, but they need to be trimmed. Those that don't make the cut go in the 2" hst box. I try and cut them a bit larger and I'm not losing too many of them. I think Triangulations is the way to go tho.
I love this method, too. I found the free template online. My only problem is I've never found the "doodle" paper that tears away easily, and regular copy paper is a nuisance to remove. My HSTs are perfect, though, when I do them this way.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:22 PM

I don't like the triangle paper. I use the way Jenny from MQC shows to make my HST.