Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I make these OBW's into square blocks? >

How do I make these OBW's into square blocks?

How do I make these OBW's into square blocks?

Old 04-04-2014, 03:33 AM

Learned something new today. I never thought of color copying fabric to play around with it. What a great idea.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:57 AM

I haven't got a clue what the answer is to your problem, but I am fascinated by the idea of photocopying my fabric to work out issues before I cut into it. What a great idea! Did you copy at home or take it to a copy shop? How much of the fabric did you copy? (I assume one repeat of the fabric would do - right?)
Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 AM

Instead of a OBW, how about a 4 patch posey? It has a similar look, but finishes out square. Here is one that I did.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470022[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	05-Bedrunner 2.JPG
Views:	1298
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	470022  
Old 04-04-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
I haven't got a clue what the answer is to your problem, but I am fascinated by the idea of photocopying my fabric to work out issues before I cut into it. What a great idea! Did you copy at home or take it to a copy shop? How much of the fabric did you copy? (I assume one repeat of the fabric would do - right?)
I take a pic of the fabric and then use Microsoft Publisher or any other graphic program to cut, duplicate, and form new blocks. Here's one that I did.
Original fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470023[/ATTACH]
Block 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470024[/ATTACH]
Block 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470026[/ATTACH]
Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470025[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xprd11516838_m.jpg
Views:	1286
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	470023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	1296
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	470024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quilt.png
Views:	1265
Size:	967.1 KB
ID:	470025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	1248
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	470026  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 AM

In Bethany Reynolds book Stack and Whackier I believe it was her second book there is a pattern for mosaic tiles and the hexagons are made into squares using half square triangles then boarder with a 1 1/2" strip very interesting pattern I am still trying to finish since it really uses your design wall.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Here's a link to a Hexagon Star Stack and Whack right here on QB. I used this same pattern/layout. :-)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...k-t198481.html
I look at all posts with OBW (One Block Wonder) or Stack & Whack in their titles. It is my favorite and imagine my surprise at finding my own quilt pictured. Thank you sewplease. As Dunster has noted, you can't make a square by adding triangles, because point to point they are different widths than the top to bottom flat sides. However, you can use half-triangles, ADD the seam allowance and add a "coping strip" to the top and bottom and square it off or you could add it first and then make an adjustment in the size of the triangles (if you want to do the extra work). If all were the same fabric and then quilted probably wouldn't be so obvious. Got to say, love the fabric and the hexies that you have made. This quilt will be sensational when finished. I made one called Peacock Proud that is posted in the picture section and while I did it in EQ7, I found out after doing the cutting that it had squenched the hexies up to make them fit the square blocks and the pieces were very peculiar angles and I didn't realize it until too late. I had to adjust, adjust, adjust. But it turned out okay. You can do this and it will be beautiful.

Last edited by Quilter 65; 04-04-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Hello Quilter 65!

Your Hexagon Star quilt is beautiful! I did mine in blues and a multi-colored floral many years ago and sadly, it still has not been quilted. Finding yours last night here on QB was like finding an old friend. :-)

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
I look at all posts with OBW (One Block Wonder) or Stack & Whack in their titles. It is my favorite and imagine my surprise at finding my own quilt pictured. Thank you sewplease. As Dunster has noted, you can't make a square by adding triangles, because point to point they are different widths than the top to bottom flat sides. However, you can use half-triangles, ADD the seam allowance and add a "coping strip" to the top and bottom and square it off or you could add it first and then make an adjustment in the size of the triangles (if you want to do the extra work). If all were the same fabric and then quilted probably wouldn't be so obvious. Got to say, love the fabric and the hexies that you have made. This quilt will be sensational when finished. I made one called Peacock Proud that is posted in the picture section and while I did it in EQ7, I found out after doing the cutting that it had squenched the hexies up to make them fit the square blocks and the pieces were very peculiar angles and I didn't realize it until too late. I had to adjust, adjust, adjust. But it turned out okay. You can do this and it will be beautiful.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 AM

If you want squares, I wouldn't piece the hexes into squares. It would be much easier to applique them instead. You'll still have the issue of trying to get a good visual balance when trying to center a hexagon onto a square though.
Very pretty fabric. I'm tempted, I love the kaleidoscope look of the blocks but I don't think I can handle that level of precision just yet. Way too many points that need to line up just right. I'm going to keep working on square designs for a while before I attempt hexes.
Rodney
Rodney
Old 04-05-2014, 06:03 AM

Here is another option, it doesn't make squares but you add setting triangles of a plain fabric to make stars. It has the same effect of isolating the OBW blocks from each other to set them off. If you look in the OBW picture galleries you can see a few different setting methods.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...53-343111.html
Old 03-29-2019, 07:52 AM

I know this is an old post, but I had the same question, and found an answer, so wanted to post it for others. Here is a great video explaining it, and a link to the free pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cURHGXQ1xEM
https://studioefabrics.net/by-the-sea-quilt-2/