Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let go of my quilts >

Let go of my quilts

Let go of my quilts

Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 AM

I know this is painful, but reading the notes, i think the idea of a basic quilt for youngsters is a good idea and one that i shall one day hope to copy... thanks for sharing this with us all!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 AM

I made quilts for two of my grandkids and never saw them. She put them up so they wouldn't hurt them.
Now, I always tell them to use them when I give them and I don't make fussy ones anymore. My DL used the quilts I gave their kids and I have been out with her and someone will comment on the nice quilt. If you don't want them to use them, make a wall hanging for their rooms.. I know when my kids were little we had a quilt my husbands grandma had made and it was our picnic quilt and cold night snuggle quilt. They all remember that quilt. It was a basic nine patch and they would crawl all over it and try to find matches in the fabric. She had made one for all nine of her grandkids as wedding gifts.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia
I have made quilts for each of my granddaughters with explicit instructions to my daughters that these quilts were to BE USED!!!! I did not put all this time and energy into them for them to be put on a shelf and kept new. I wanted them to be drug around and curled up under. I made them to be loved. Last week the three oldest (who are sisters) were all home from school sick with a virus and when I stopped in to see them, they were all cuddled up under the quilts that I made them. They are a comfort to them when they do not feel good---these quilts have been thrown up on, drug through the dirt, had picnics on, been washed over and over again. Most of all, they are loved----and I would have it no other way.

Be happy, Rina, that your quilts are loved too!!!
I feel the exactly same way. While I am making the quilt, I think how wonderful it will be for the person to be using it. I would hate to think that it is put away on a shelf or in a closet somewhere and forgotten until I die or some other tragedy comes along. I think that would hurt my feelings much more than seeing my grandchild playing with it.
I don't and won't make "utility" quilts to give away, and so far I have not kept any "special" quilts because I didn't want them used (as a matter of fact, I have yet to make a quilt for myself). I make the quilts out of love for the receiver and only hope they love the quilt enough to use it! The time and money put into it was my choice because I thought of the receiver when I began the project or as I progressed through it. For me it is the joy of creating along with the joy of giving that makes them so special.
Brenda
Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by judithb
Originally Posted by Ninnie
When I make quilts for my grandsons, i tell them to use them until they are worn out. i love that they are making memories with their quilts. It is hard to let go, but I try to remember once a gift is given, it is no longer mine to control or worry about. Very hard to do though LOL
I have a hard time with this thought, even though I know it is true. It is a big effort for me, especially since I have the bed size quilts quilted and it is expensive!
Here is a note that I haven't seen here. My precious grand daughter won't let her baby girl play with or use the quilt because it has "cat" on it. She is referring to cat hair. I brushed and washed several times before I gave it to here. So do i ask for it back and give it to quilts for kids or keep my mouth shut and not make any more quilts for her?? BTW. She came from a house with 3 large dogs...Go figure. One of the other grand daughters has 2 quilts already.

Couldn't she wash the quilt and remove the "cat"? It's strange how some folks look at different things, isn't it?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:38 AM

That is why when I give a quilt, I tell the receiver that it can not be sold. Only given to someone.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Be happy they are using it, the one I made my mother sits folded up on the end of her bed, gradually fading in the sun,unused.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:55 PM

brendadawg
I brushed it and brushed it and washed it a few times...I have 2 long hair cats, (see pic) what else can I say. This is one that I really need to let go of, but part of me wants to ask for it back so some other precious little girl can get some comfort from it. I have another couple of quilts for kids to make now. That gives me great joy. Yes, I brush them several times and wash them a couple of times too.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Sold on e-bay? How awful....I'd rather have mine used up and enjoyed.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara A.
Sold on e-bay? How awful....I'd rather have mine used up and enjoyed.
I do understand what a shock it must have been for you. At least someone really likes it and will use it! Isn't that the point of giving quilts away? Hopefully you have a label on it!
I can't wait to get back to sewing on the quilts for kids from downy.com! We know those quilts will be loved!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

I would never give a child a labor intensive quilt as a baby quilt. My granddaughter has gone through many quilts I have made. Her interests change and her room colors change. I don't expect her to keep the quilts I made for her to use forever. I have several of my best quilts saved for her.