Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go >

Quilt as you go

Quilt as you go

Old 04-10-2014, 03:06 AM

This technique is NOT the way to go! Traditionally all THREE layers are quilted and then the blocks are joined. Also quilting with the batting side down on the feed dogs is NOT good! I don't have a link for you as I write, but please go to You Tube and search Quilt As You Go and view their tutorials. I'm sure you will abandon this method immediately!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:44 AM

I made a crazy quilt using the quilt as you go method. It was fine, and I enjoy it.
My only regret was that the seams were on the back uncovered. It would have been better if I had put a backing on it and tied it.
It was when I was a new quilter, and didn't think of it. There was lots of embroidery on it, so it looks great!
Mariah
Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Hmmm...stitching in the ditch with an open seam. I think I would try it on something small that gets used and washed often to see how it holds up. What is the stitch in the ditch being held with other than a piece of thread? You could also try instead of stitching directly in the ditch, stitch along side it a 1/8th or 1/4 inch.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 AM

If you watch Roses video, you can stitch along edge where top peice of material is folded under and another row of stitching on either side. IF YOU WANT you can stitch in the ditch from front instead. I will stitch on the back with bobbin thread matching top and it will be a reversable quilt too and much easier than binding peices having to be sewn on on both sides.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:20 AM

I made a QAYG and i was afraid of joining bulky seems so i joined all of my blocks with sashing. Rather than adding sashing on the back and hand stitching, i used a solid piece and did SITD to join the two layers. Unfortunately my sashing wasn't the right size and now theres a void in between all of the blocks. It makes it easier to fold the quilt exactly the same each time and all of the blocks are very stiff. It looks nice except where its joined. The cat loves it.

FREE Quilting Newsletter