Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let go of my quilts >

Let go of my quilts

Let go of my quilts

Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM

ds/dil live out of state i made 4 quilts..for 2 of the grandkids and ds 2 other kids from 1st marriage. i sent them to ds/dil. well i let the other 2 kids know that there quilt was at their dad's house..well now ds says that his wife has decited to keep them and give the younger ones 2 quilts..i am so upset, hurt, cried last night and couldn't sleep. i made them special and put each childs name on their quilt...i am sooo mad i could spit nails...i am not sure how this is going to come out..
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM

My GM always said" i made it to be used" and that went for crocheted or quilted things. I always think of the story about the woman who had lingerie that her husband gave her and she never wore it- she was saving it for a "special occasion". Weel she got sick and died having never worn it for her husband. I say what a waste! I use my china and my quilts and whatever cuz you don't know what tomorrow brings.JMHO
Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 PM

When I went to visit my daughter and her family last summer, they had a new puppy. Guess what was in the bottom of the puppies basket to sleep on? You guessed it! The quilt that I had made for my grandson when he was a toddler. Oh well, the puppy seemed to love it. They really don't understand our passion for our quilts and hobby.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM

After doing extensive geneology on my husbands family, I visited several times with his great aunt, who was a quilter. She sold her quilts and I bought a baby quilt for my first grandchild. I cherished it because of who made it and I knew I would never get another one from her (93 yr old). I must admit the value to me was more than it was to anyone else so I kept it for myself. It's put up right now and I'm not bothered a bit about it. She passed away last year and I will keep her quilt put away until ```` I don't know when.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 PM

My GM made me a Sunbonnet Sue quilt when I was a teen and I'm ashamed to admit that after I got married it didn't get treated very well. It's worn and has duck tape stuck to it. I'm going to try and save it and if I can't save all of it, maybe i can save enough of it to make a lap quilt or if worse comes to worse a block or two to frame. It doesn't have regular batting in it-looks like flannel blanket. She passed away 10 yrs ago.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:27 AM

I wish I had thought of utility quilts a long time ago
LOL could haved saved a bundle
Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 AM

I made a quilt for my 6 year old GD of stick figures. She loved it, BUT my dear DIL is Korean and in her country, quilts are definitely used for everything and washed and washed and....... My GD is now 23 and still has and uses that quilt. Yes, it's faded and very worn but much cherished.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:04 AM

You MAKE it with love and you Give it with love. Sounds like the boys are using the quilts with LOVE. Of course you'll make more what fun==shopping for more fabric.
Planning a new pattern and then giving it away. Go for it
Old 12-20-2009, 12:47 PM

My daughter does not appreciate the quilts I have given her, in fact, one that was very very special, was in a plastic bag on the floor in the furnace room. I told her I wanted it back to put it in a special bag to preserve it. I WILL get this back from her. I made another one for her, for her bed, and I have never seen it since. BUT...two small lap quilts I made for her, are on the couch downstairs in the tv room and my 3 year old granddaughter tells EVERYBODY that gramma made them, and the quilt on her bed..she just loves them. Everybody is different. You have to learn to let go. You did them out of love, every single stitch, and what they do with them is their choice. It's hard, but once given away, it is theirs. This "flag" quilt is a beautiful quilt and I put a lot of work into it. I have never seen another like it. So...I will preserve it so she will appreciate that I made it when she gets older...hmmm she is going to be 40, I wonder when that will be. lol
Old 12-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Re the quilts that were made for granchildren and kept by the daughterin law.

Consider charging her with theft! I would definitley speak to a lawyer,
When you do, have some idea of what the quilts are worth if bought on the open market or if you had to have them made. Take pictures of the quilts with you to the lawyer if you have them.
As they were a gift to someone else, the quilts are not hers to keep.