Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snowball >

Snowball

Snowball

Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

yep, sew just "inside" the line, marked or folded line. toward the corner of the block, not your center. just a "hair" inside will do the trick. sometimes mine all don't fold over perfectly. that's when I use the fabric square itself to measure against when sewing the 1/4 inch seam line as I connect them to others. meaning not cutting that off! you know that is square! Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:46 AM

..I also leave the front and background triangle there, just cut out that middle one. This way when you are piecing you are lining up with the background of both pieces, which is the true edge-- because sometimes no matter how carefully you sew it still gets a little wonky, and that background triangle is there to keep the block straight. There is not that much bulk having the two fabs there. And a snowball corner should be 1/3 of the size of that block...usually anyway.....
Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 PM

I'm definitely going to try leaving the piece attached to the square and sewing a few threads in. I feel this will work for me. WOW! Thanks everyone.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I always do my Snowball blocks by sewing the diagonal on a square placed on each corner. When you draw the diagonal line, think of that as your fold line not your sewing line. Sew just a smidgen outside that line so when you fold back the fabric your corner it goes to the edge.
This was one of the most useful tips that I've read. Just did many snowball blocks and by thinking of the line as the fold line, not the sew line, they all came out perfect
Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Had never heard of the Folded Corner Clipper, so just had to Google it. For those who are interested, here is what I found:
http://www.prairieskyquilting.com/sh...te-x657517.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjD3AKiSyPw

Another template I will eventually need......

Edit: On the Youtube video, snowballs are demonstrated are about 4 minutes in.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-11-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
There is an easier way of doing it and I can explain it. I am just not sure I can do a good job in the absence of pictures, but I will try. 1. Take two strips of fabric 2.5" wide by width of the fabric (WOF). 2. Take one strip of fabric 5" wide by WOF. 3. Stitch the three strips side by side with the wide strip in the center. 4. Fold it into half (RST), so that the wider strip has a crease all along its length. 5. Now stitch the folded fabric, such that you have the crease on the left and the two identical strips are on the right, making sure that the right sides are together. Now, the magic begins. Use your 45 degree triangle ruler and cut out triangles. If you are familiar with the tube technique, you know what I am talking about. Once you are done cutting, you should get the snowball block. You will also get the other block, where the fabrics will be reversed - you can get creative with these bonus blocks. Give it a try and send me a PM if you still have questions.
Ok 'stitch the folded fabric', but WHERE? Along the folded edge? How far in? A few details are missing which is why I think we don't understand it. It sounds intriguing tho!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:06 PM

sorry, I should have included the info in my post, but I didn't want anyone thinking I was pushing them into buying something they didn't really need ;-)
Old 04-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2010/10...ner-trick.html
this is one way.
see the line in the first pic? That would be the fold line some are talking about. just fold over and finger press rather than marking. both ways work
Old 04-12-2014, 04:01 AM

I make my snowball squares as above, sewing just to the side of the line and only cutting off the center fabric and leaving the original square in tact. Leaving the original square in tact is probably the most important tip. One thing that has helped me too is to use Aurifil 50 thread which is a finer thread and a 70 or 80 needle which is also finer. The stitching now takes up less space so my folds take up less as well. Starching also helps get a crisp fold and less stretching so your finished size is more accurate.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
There is an easier way of doing it and I can explain it. I am just not sure I can do a good job in the absence of pictures, but I will try. 1. Take two strips of fabric 2.5" wide by width of the fabric (WOF). 2. Take one strip of fabric 5" wide by WOF. 3. Stitch the three strips side by side with the wide strip in the center. 4. Fold it into half (RST), so that the wider strip has a crease all along its length. 5. Now stitch the folded fabric, such that you have the crease on the left and the two identical strips are on the right, making sure that the right sides are together. Now, the magic begins. Use your 45 degree triangle ruler and cut out triangles. If you are familiar with the tube technique, you know what I am talking about. Once you are done cutting, you should get the snowball block. You will also get the other block, where the fabrics will be reversed - you can get creative with these bonus blocks. Give it a try and send me a PM if you still have questions.
Preeti I understood you perfectly! Only problem is I don't know what to do with the "other side" of that 45 degree cut - it has two stripes running down the middle! Thanks