Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will fabric prices go up higher? >

Will fabric prices go up higher?

Will fabric prices go up higher?

Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Dairy State, welcome aboard. You may be better off posting a new thread in the "Seeking Out" section of the forum. There's a good chance your question will get lost or not get the attention it deserves here.
Rodney
Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 PM

Whenever we refer to our out of control stashes, we can take comfort in knowing what we already have and perhaps learn to make do, rather than keep looking for that perfect elusive fabric. Shop the sales, continue to look for good value and trade fabrics with friends. Quilting is a lovely pass time but I'll quit before I pay more than $12.00 for a yard.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
.... I think general sewing has fallen into a specialty only category--like costumes, crafts, home decor while very few are sewing clothing...
With the inexpensive overseas clothing production and consumer pricing, IMHO, garment sewing nowadays is less about thrift and more about being a way to express individuality and creativity. The cost of fabric alone can easily exceed how much an off-the-rack garment would cost.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:03 PM

so true, Colorful1. love your name ;-)
Old 04-12-2014, 05:18 PM

Craig's list, yard sales and church sales. I always walk away with bargains
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I was watching a Quilt in a Day episode a few days ago and Eleanor was showing depression fabric prices. they worked out to about half an hour's income at minimum wage. You can buy decent quality solid fabric today for about the same rate, a half hour of minimum wage labor. Prints may run a bit more. Careful shopping brings the price down some. Over the long term it doesn't matter what the numbers are, it's how much it works out to as a percentage of wages. As fuel (energy) prices go up, the cost of everything else goes up as well, usually with wages being last in line.
I haven't bought there yet but I was at Thousands of Bolts' website looking just a few minutes ago and batiks were averaging around $7.00 a yard there. Not a bad price IMO. I didn't check other types of fabric, it's not what I'm after right now.
Rodney
I think in order to compare apples to apples, you'd need to compare store prices to minimum wages. Let's take your average store in little town, America. What do they sell fabric for? I'd bet about $7/yard. what is minimum wage? (I don't know). Half that. Can we find fabric at that price? Not regularly, I'd bet and not all cotton high quality unless it is a deep sale.

We can find those prices if we work at it, but during the depression, I think people just went to the local mercantile. That was the store that sold everything retail. So, comparing retail in small town america at little store (I was such a town last May/June) and the price was about $7/yard for fabric of good enough quality) to minimum wage. What is it? I don't know and don't want to look it up right now.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:37 AM

I've been doing such a good job not buying fabric all year, trying to use up stash. After reading all this I feel like I need to start buying before prices skyrocket again. Had to purchase some Kona last week to finish up a project and saw it had gone up at Hobby Lobby. Oh, what to do, what to do?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:16 AM

Thousands of Bolts and only one Nut has the best prices. Anthology Fabrics Chromatic Batiks, These Badkins are just beautiful for only 6.95yd they have Moda solids for 4.99yd check them out if you haven't already shipping amount is spot on and fast 2 days from PA. to CA They have Anthology Fabrics Chromatic Batiks for 6.95yd amazingly beautiful, I had never bought any before because of the price of Batiks. 11.00yd what a rip off. I love this place. They have swatch charts for sale also.

Last edited by flytyingdiva; 04-13-2014 at 04:18 AM. Reason: part of it disapeared
Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 AM

If you see the price of fabric going up, what about the price of milk, bread, and other staples. I cannot believe the price of eggs too. I think it is a shame that our SS does not go up but 1.3per cent and then other staples goes up it seems ever time I shop. I guess fabric has to go up too, but I can use my stash. It will take some time for me to use it up. Sorry I did not mean to mess up any one's grip on fabric.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:18 AM

I haven't bought fabric in some time. The last big purchase was a special quilt for ME . After that one I decided it was my last big one. I did have to move with a larger stash 3 times. Each time I donated a little more. This last time. Linus Project got 5 baskets full. I figure I will buy as I need on sale and usually on line . I just can't afford to shop in most stores anymore and pay for the gas to get there. . SS isn't enough but to barely survive on. I think buying on sale is a wonderful idea. I never pay full price for anything anymore. Either sales, or thrift stores. If I can't find it I do without. The prices like everything else will go as high as people will pay and will not go down from that price.