Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Estate sales >

Estate sales

Estate sales

Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 AM

We used to go to a LOT of estate sales, getting there at 4 AM to get on "the list," then waiting in the car for it to start. Kind of a big adventure. I've gotten 2 Singer Featherweights that way, for reasonable prices. You need to be one of the first group to go in otherwise the good stuff gets grabbed up or saved right away. I've only found actual quilting fabric or books a few times...really great prices though. There are many nice things at sales but it's sure easy to become a hoarder!

I have seen so many unfinished projects, or quilts that no one in the family must've wanted. I've snatched up quite a few. It's kind of sad. My daughter said she'd take my stuff, but since she doesn't quilt, I suppose she could just be saying that. I'll tell her about a local guild. Whoever gets my stuff will probably be very pleased! I used to fret about it and think I needed to use it up as fast as I could, but it's not going to happen. So whatever happens, happens.

Recently on the internet I saw 68 boxes of someone's fabric at a quilt shop for $1200. I would hope mine would fetch more than that!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 AM

"I hope I can do justice to her precious fabric and I cherish the tools because I imagine she cherished them."

I have felt this way after buying at an estate sale. Once I was going through a quilter's stash at a sale and found a lot of the same fabric I had collected over the years. It made me feel like we had the same taste, and I felt honored to be using her fabric to make new things.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:06 AM

I love estate sales and thrift stores. The last estate sale I went to I was able to get a vintage Singer buttonholer and some other accessories at a really good price. I didn't see any fabric though. I've bought a lot of small fabric pieces at thrift stores and most of my sewing machines are thrift store finds too. About a week ago I bought an unopened queen-sized roll of Mountain Mist cotton batting for 99 cents and a nice 10" square acrylic ruler for $4.00. The batting has a free quilt pattern on the label and the most recent date I found was 1987.
I really want to hit an estate sale with a quilter's stash.
Rodney
Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 AM

I have a trust account. In it are pages of what I want done. I have assinged a best buddy quilter to be in charge of the disposal - sale and donation - of all my sewing/quilting/crafting items. Neither of my grown children really have a clue and it would hurt to know they just donated or sold them to someone only interested in making money and not 'art.'

I do go to the estate sales that send out notices on the net. I first look at the pictures and decide if it is worth going to. I bought my FW at an estate sale. Also a dress dummy and other items.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Brought home a box of fabric for $13. After washing and folding I estimated over 52 yards of fabric. Also found a Husqvarna machine for $40. Another time mats and cutters for $3. Just enjoy finding a good bargain. If I can't use it I'm sure I'll find someone who can. Half the fun is finding it and bidding!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:10 PM

I go to estate sales and garage sales specifically for the quilting items. I couldn't afford to make as many quilts as I do without the opportunity to get much of my fabric at a discount.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:18 PM

We rarely see sewing/quilting stuff at sales, but we have bought a few things. My parents go to sales for fun, and they call me and text pictures if they see anything we might be interested in. We hope to build good quilting memories with Emmaline so she will actually want our stash and other stuff.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:45 PM

Please make arrangements for your quilting 'stuff' in your will. I find beautiful custom wall hangings, quilts, fabric and other sewing related items in Good Will and buy them for almost nothing. It breaks my heart to think that someone put their effort and love into these things and no one who loves them wants them.

My DH has strict orders on how to distribute my 'stuff'. Now I have to take my own advice and update my will.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM

To all of you who have great quilting stuff but no kids to leave it to, I am a "kid" (ok, it's been a while since I could have been called a kid) with a mom that doesn't quilt! Anyone want to adopt me? Hahahaha!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:32 PM

I check the local craigslist listings to see if there is something interesting. Or if I happen to be passing by. I don't buy fabric - only tools, etc. or if I find a good deal on a specific machine. We just don't have room for me to to do anything but that. Otherwise I don't bother. As to what I have on hand when I go...at least my younger sis is knowledgeable and will make sure that things are handled appropriately. And DH has a clue for any of my local friends. As long as my stuff will go to someone that will use it, I'm good with that.