Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Estate sales >

Estate sales

Estate sales

Old 04-14-2014, 12:23 PM

I dont usually find much either, at yard sales or thrift stores, but I always look anyways..yesterday, I saw a SINGER touch and sew for $7.50 - thought about it, but is was missing the plug in and no peddle, so it would take more $$ to get everything IF it even sews.....I passed it up......but a month ago, I came across an estate sale and got an IRON LADY for $20.00 in the vintage cabinet........its a 66 not sure of the age....and it was missing the plug in..has a knee control...and I just found the plug in on ebay, so soon we will see........I have found more at the thrift stores than anyplace else, and that is rare.......all my stash goes to my local PROJECT LINUS group upon my leaving life......none of the younger girls in my family are interested in sewing and quilting (I dont understand why they are not...)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 PM

Love yard sales but don't generally find too many sewing things, till last July when I found a box with a Crazy quilt sitting on top. It needs a lot of mending, but then I looked in the box underneath it and bingo. Lots of hand done tulip blocks, bonnet lady blocks, more crazy quilt squares, a kewpie doll quilt top, and many pink multi-colored squares to make into a quilt. I have to do more satin stitching around the tulips and bonnet ladies, but have already purchased fabric to make the sashing between the blocks. I am going to go back to that sale as it occurs every July.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:21 PM

tessagin, did you see the Estate sale from greatestate sales last weekend? I am in Corpus too, I bought the Tin Lizzie with king size frame.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 PM

I am so tickled, last week I got an email from an Estate Sale company showing some pictures of stuff for sale. There was an older model Tin Lizzie 18 with king sized frame for $2,000. I immediately called, text, and voice mailed the sales lady. The next day I was at the house buying it. The widow who lived there was selling off things she didn't want to take with her when she went to live with her son so it wasn't so sad to be buying it, in fact she was tickled right along with me when she seen how happy I was at getting this machine. My big problem now is finding a manual for it. I have emailed Tin Lizzie & soon will call them soon if I don't hear from them. I went back again on the last day of the sale towards the end when everything is 1/2 off and got a queen quilt top and a laundry basket full of material for $25. Now to clear out my computer room just to have a home for it. I am one happy "beginner"
Old 04-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Neither of my girls are into sewing as much as I am, but at least they know enough to understand the value of the fabric and the tools, not to mention the environment, enough not to let it all wind up in a landfill. But they have both said they don't look forward to dealing with my stash when I'm gone, so I guess I'd better get cracking!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:15 PM

We've drifted a bit here but estate planning is important. My mother passed 3 yrs ago and her estate wasn't a problem. My dad was still alive so he kept everything. My dad passed last fall with no will-my brother and sister both had brought it up with him and mom many times, they refused. That leaves me, my brother and my sister wondering what to do with his belongings. It also creates a mess when it comes to things like transferring titles on his house and cars.
Better to have something in writing and to give things away while you're still alive.
Rodney
Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 PM

What an interesting thread, I too like to go estate sales, auctions and garage sales. I have 4 machines, 2 my mother bought me 10 yrs. ago, she wanted me to start quilting, I wasn't to interested, but now I have the quilting bug. One I got at an estate sale brand new in box a Brother for $90 and one I got at a flea market new in box a Brother Emb. for $100. My daughter does sew some, but I won't use up all the material and neither will she. Husband knows to sell machines and donate material to quilt guild
Old 04-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

I'm thinking if each person on this thread were to teach one person to sew this year.....
Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 PM

I got that covered. My daughter is learning. I was able to get her signed up for 4H for sewing too. This way she won't just be learning from my mistakes. Her interest is more in clothes though.
Rodney
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM

Around here we have estate auctions. I love going. I have purchased many bargains, fabrics, sewing machines, tools etc. I will admit that many times I feel so bad for the person. I have seen king sized quilts go for less than 100 dollars. Handmade crochet work and embroidery go for pennies. It is very sad.