Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt stencil >

Quilt stencil

Quilt stencil

Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 AM

A unique idea yadroc!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:40 PM

I took some classes from Pam Clark and they helped alot. She does the freehand working from a grid that helps guide your movements. It was amazing how much just doodling the designs first on paper helps. I'm not a doodler so have never done that much. But it has really helped my quilting. I guess it makes something click in your mind.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:41 PM

I have stencils for the meander and for loopy meanderings.... I don't think I could be consistent from one area to the next. I am afraid that one section would be heavier in the FMQ than the next section.... my stencils help me be consistent in the density of the stitching
Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 PM

I draw my design on printer paper than take a large needle and poke holes on the lines I've drawn and use chalk powder, it comes out fine to sew over or I use stencils from Joann
Old 04-22-2014, 03:59 AM

I'm going to try the freezer paper trick on a wall hanging. Thanks for the idea!!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 AM

Thanks for the freezer paper trick. Wonderful idea. As far as stencils go make sure you get one that is for free motion and not hand quilting. The free motion are continuous lines where the hand ones can involved more stops and starts. Certainly doable on a machine but it takes away one of the reasons you are doing free motion, the ability to move around in a continuous movement.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:13 AM

My personal preference if to draw off a stencil pattern onto a thin paper that has a vellum finish-anything but soft and pin it to my quilt and stitch on it. Then take it off. I know this is a bit time consuming but worth it. It also allows me to adjust the size of the motif to fit the space evenly. This type of paper is similar to the gold paper you buy bu much less expensive. I really admire those who can just do FMQ without any 'training wheels'. But, I can't draw anything freehand, and sure enough, I can't draw anything with the sewing machine either. My brain just doesn't have those convolutions. So I am happy with all the helps, adapted by me, to help my quilt.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 AM

There are many quilt books out there with continuous line quilting designs in them. They are usually sold where ever quilt supplies are sold. You can trace them or photo copy them. Take it to your sewing machine and stitch it with out the thread in the machine. This makes your stencil. Turn it over so the rough side is up. place it on the quilt. Use pounce chalk. A way to lessen the mess from the chalk is. To use a small sponge paintbrush dipped in pounce powder and paint it over the rough side of the stencil. It transfers better with the rough side up. When stitching don't worry if you can't stay exactly on the line. Remember the chalk line disappears so no one will ever know.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 AM

I have used the Golden paper (I think that's what it's called -- it's very thin and comes on a roll) and Carol Doak foundation piecing paper. Draw or trace your design on one piece, then stack several together and sew through all the papers with a large needle without thread. This perforates all the papers. Then pin the pieces onto your quilt sandwich and quilt. Because the papers are perforated, it makes removal much easier.

Have you looked at any of the FMQ classes on Craftsy. Leah Day has two with 50 different designs in each class. Also, if you sign up for her newsletter on her website, she demos different designs. Angela Waters (?) has a couple feather classes.

Harriet Hargrave has a book, I believe it's called Heirloom Quilting (it has a green cover) that takes you step-by-step in learning to FMQ that is very easy. All it takes is practice.

There is also a spray stencil marker that comes in white and blue. I bought a can, but haven't tried it yet. I would imagine that you would have to make some type of barrier (with muslin or freezer paper) with a hole the exact size of the stencil so that you didn't get the spray stuff all over the rest of the quilt.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 AM

I bought my stencils at Walmart, JoAnn's and a local quilt shop. I use a pounce with chalk or a fabric pencil with chalk from Fons & Porter.