Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts that are 'quilted to death'  -- just my 2 cents worth..... >

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 PM

hear, hear!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't think the term "quilted to death" is fair. It automatically assumes that the quilting is ruining the quilt. You say that you've "heard" that these quilts are stiff, but that has not been my experience, if a good batting is used, the quilting is done with thinner threads and backtracking is minimized. I see no reason for quilting to weaken the quilt fibers, anymore than lots of piecing would weaken them. And more quilting does hold the quilt together so that if some threads do break, others are there to do the job. I love to look at creative quilting that adds new depth to a quilt while complementing the piecing. Also many of the quilts at the bigger shows are more works of art than coverings for beds.
I agree! Will everything you said.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM

I love quilts of all sorts but am drawn to the heavily quilted ones at the shows. It doesn't matter to me if they belong on a bed or on a wall.

The last four quilts I made were lap size for our four grandkids, they were heavily quilted to last being dragged around and most probably washed once every week or so. The last thing I said to our DD was "The quilts are made to be used in any way the kids want to: that includes putting them on the floor to watch TV on."

If I had a longarm and had "fancy" quilted them, I'd have said the same thing.

As for show quilts, one of my joys is viewing the heavily quilted quilts is up close (as we can get). Step back to see the piecing pattern: it's there.

Followed by visiting the vendors to see the new piecing patterns.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM

I agree with you I like a quilt that is a bit puffy not stiff something you can wrap around you and snuggle with
Old 04-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Stitch124, I tend to agree with you. IMHO there has to be a good balance. The right quilting can enhance and beautify a quilt, but it should never detract or "grandstand". Can't help but notice that when some of these heavily quilted quilts are turned over to show off the machine quilting, they appear "warped" and don't see how they would ever lay flat on a bed or against a wall. Your comments about fabric fiber break down and quilt show placement seem very valid.
I agree with her too. Of course I am a hand quilter. I think a lot of time machine quilting takes away from the piecing.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM

I agree. Sometimes it just seems so busy an distracting
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM

Each quilt has its' own personality and the quilting can add or detract, but it also depends on the eye of the beholder. Some people may like something, while others will say it's too much or too little.

Having done some charity quilts and other quilts with different fabrics, it's not always the stitching that causes the fabric to breakdown, but the fabric itself.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 PM

I agree with Tartan. I think the art quilts are beautiful. Do I quilt my quilts like that? NO, I don't have the talent. but I do agree that a lot of quilting does make the quilts stiff and rigid.
I do not agree that it breaks down the fabric. I think all that thread makes it stronger.
Each to his own. If you like lots of quilting do it. If you don't, don't.
these are our creations and we can do what ever we want . We don't all have to agree on everything.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't think the term "quilted to death" is fair. It automatically assumes that the quilting is ruining the quilt. You say that you've "heard" that these quilts are stiff, but that has not been my experience, if a good batting is used, the quilting is done with thinner threads and backtracking is minimized. I see no reason for quilting to weaken the quilt fibers, anymore than lots of piecing would weaken them. And more quilting does hold the quilt together so that if some threads do break, others are there to do the job. I love to look at creative quilting that adds new depth to a quilt while complementing the piecing. Also many of the quilts at the bigger shows are more works of art than coverings for beds.
I, too, have seen far too many quilts that were quilted to death, were stiff and didn't drape well, and where the quilting either totally obscured the piecing, or wasn't in tune with it. While this opinion may offend many who machine quilt, it's still my opinion, and I stand by it. It has not escaped my attention that some quilters over-quilt "just because they csn". I'm hoping, too, that this is a fad that will pass, and the sooner, the better.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-23-2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: pm
Old 04-23-2014, 04:04 AM

My sentiments exactly!

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
Quilt collector, judge and certified appraiser Gerald Roy wrote exactly about the subject of over-quilting in the January/February 2009 issue of Love of Quilting magazine. On page 14, he says, "At the show I was judging, I saw many quilts that visually were overly designed, had distorted surfaces, and displayed quilting patterns that were too busy and complex."

Earlier in the article he states, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Good common sense advice.