Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 AM

Whew....had all 4 grands here last week-they are all 4yrs and under! Lots of love and energy here! So no sewing accomplished.

Mama hen, your quilt is beautiful! Can't wait to see it completed!

Rodney, pinwheels are my favorite "happy" block! Maybe purple and white alternated with pink and white?

I have come to the conclusion that nothing I am trying on my appliqued center is working-I feel like I am forcing something to happen. SO. I have completely started over with a new center block. I pulled some fabrics from my meager stash, and I will give this a go. Off to wash screens so we can get this spring officially underway! Will post pix soon, I hope!

Keep up the inspiring work!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:15 AM

Rodney: I think your comment, "knowing what you don't like is progress too" was right on. If you stay with the purple, pink and green you are going to make a very girly quilt. I think the multicolored pinwheels were just fine just a different direction from what it sound like you want. A number of us have run into a road block. I wonder if its the time of year more than the project. I finally broke through just going with my first impulse. Something I am learning (as Rodney said) is even a wrong decision can be a learning experience and isn't the end of the world.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 AM

Well Rodney (& Emma), maybe you're right about the pinwheels because they're quite bright. Perhaps they would work later on in the quilt, further from the center. I like them because they remind me of kites, which go with the windy center.

Love your quote Rodney. It's probably been there all along and I just never noticed.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 AM

As with many others I feel like I'm at a road block too. I'm ready to add my final borders, but it makes the quilt LOOK to SQUARE & I don't know if I like that or not, so have not progressed any farther until I make up my mind.

Rodney, I think that maybe having yours sitting on top of that background quilt doesn't help the overall look. Try it on a white sheet for your second opinion. I like the bright blocks.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Hello, all. Here is the ribbon round:[ATTACH=CONFIG]472711[/ATTACH]

Quite the challenge because had to figure out a way to use stripe without having that seam where the blocks met and then had to figure out a way to corner it up. So it is done. Here it is with the proposed next round and I apologize to Brat because I know she will have a meltdown when she sees the cream, but just don't have any other plans for this border and can't envision one at this time. I certainly see her point. My thought is that I would use a four-inch border between the green and the snsns that would make a chevron of the red paisley and gold on the other side to butt up against the green. However, will wait to see what the next round proposal is before deciding for sure. Don't have any more border fabrics that doesn't have a lot of cream. Suggestions? [ATTACH=CONFIG]472712[/ATTACH]

Rodney, I think your center is so soft and feminine and pastel that the bright colors are a bit jarring, but that is just my observation. MamaHen, think that blue narrow stripe would be a perfect segue to the border fabric you have. Love seeing the progress and reading the discussions. So much learning to be done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4010 (Small).JPG
Views:	223
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	472711   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4008 (Small).JPG
Views:	206
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	472712  

Last edited by Quilter 65; 04-22-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:51 PM

I think you are right about the multicolor pinwheels. I had to hunt to even see the pinwheels. Looking forward to seeing your revised pinks and purples design.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
MamaHen that's a beautiful quilt. Whatever you decide will be perfect, you haven't gone wrong on it yet.

I wish I could say the same for mine. I like the pinwheels as a second border but I hate my color choices. The multi-colored pinwheels just aren't working for me. I think that's why I've been bogged down on this project. I'm ripping the second border off and starting over at that point. I think I'll stay with the pinks and purples for the rest of my border work and I still have two more Sues to make for it as well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472458[/ATTACH]
I'm just going to go with knowing what you don't like is progress too.
Rodney
Old 04-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Quilter 65, I have added the narrow blue border, just haven't gotten around to adding that last border, I don't want to go any bigger at this point. It is still on wall, looking at it, seeing how SQUARE it looks & not knowing if I'll like it square or not, so that is my hold up, I'm not jumping in until I think I can live with it. I'll post a picture when I have made up my mind.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM

MamaHen, you can add an extra border on the top and bottom of your quilt to make it a rectangle. Check out Quilter65's quilt. That's what she did. I plan to do that also if I ever get to work on my quilt again.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
MamaHen, you can add an extra border on the top and bottom of your quilt to make it a rectangle. Check out Quilter65's quilt. That's what she did. I plan to do that also if I ever get to work on my quilt again.
That's kind of what I was thinking too, but don't know what. thanks for encouragement Pam H, i'll dwell on it for a day or two. Now if I did, what kind of extra border would I like to make?????? hmmmmmm.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MamaHen View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking too, but don't know what. thanks for encouragement Pam H, i'll dwell on it for a day or two. Now if I did, what kind of extra border would I like to make?????? hmmmmmm.
I'm thinking about repeating one of my borders. I'll have to lay out my leftover blocks and see how it looks.