Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Out of the frying pan into the fire! >

Out of the frying pan into the fire!

Out of the frying pan into the fire!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:07 AM

Congrats Annie- I am not in the market for a new machine, and I'm not familiar with that machine, so I had to go on line to see what you are getting. Looks great. I know you will enjoy it. I first clicked on Amazon, and saw their price and they did not give any info on the throat space, which is what I need most, so I visited the All brands, they didn't either. However, when I clicked on the various pics of the machine, I did find an accessory chart - did you notice that? You might want to print that chart for future reference. All brands also stated that if you find this machine cheaper anywhere else to let them know, well from what I saw when checking Amazon, the machine is the same as the one on All Brands, but quite a bit cheaper this may be of interest to you, enough to check out. I hope you have years of fun with you new machine.Be sure to post pics of completed quilts.

Last edited by Gerbie; 04-23-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 AM

There is nothing complicated at all about this machine, you put it on a table, put the extension table onto it, adjust the feet by simple screwing them out until it is level, do as instructed to thread, sometimes the three hole is not needed, sometimes it is, you learn this by doing. The hardest part is getting the bobbin in the correct position and clamped in, it clicks when it is in right. The bobbin is in a very hard place but even my arthritic fingers can manage it. read the instructions on the proper way to cut the bobbin thread the correct length. If you have never had a thread cutter before, you are in for loving it and wishing your other machines had one too. Enjoy, it is one easy machine to learn to use. I haven't regretted one day getting this machine.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:14 AM

You Ordered a Very Straight Forward Machine there are No Stitches to mess with it sews Straight Stitch only!! You will Love it!!! Read Your manual. Make sure you Clean her and oil her regularly and you will LOVE how she preforms
Congrats!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
I am in a thinking mood about ordering this machine. The dealer gave me a manual to take home so that I copuild go through it.
Here in Eastern Canada, I will be paying approx. $1700 for it (taxes included). That's what is keeping me thinking instead of buying. That's a lot of money for me and, really, the throat space is the only thing I really want.

Congrats and good luck.
tapper(still pondering)
That is an unbelievable price to have to pay. Mine was about $600 from Amazon, check it out even if your shipping is a bit more, nothing like that price you have quoted.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:07 AM

congrats on your new machine,enjoy
Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I love my 1500s. Do not worry, that machine is a simple, straightforward machine, very easy to operate.
I agree!!!!! I can not think of any reason why you would need lessons on this machine. The instruction manual is easy to understand and since it is straight stitch only there is really nothing to learn like you might if you had a machine with fancy stitches I use the foot pedel instead of the knee press.

I have found that if you pull the fabric to the back when removing it then the needle does not come unthreaded as easily.

Congrats on getting this machine I think you will love it also!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 AM

Basic straight stitch machine - goes forward and reverse - all you need to do is check the manual for oiling and bobbin winding. Shouldn't need any type of classes if you've sewn before.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 AM

Congratulations - very exciting. Good luck I am sure you will do just fine.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 AM

How wonderful. The excitement of a new machine!

If classes are not feasible (and they were not for me either), get a pile of fairly large scraps, your favorite treats, a steno or similar pad of paper, and the new machine's manual and start working through the manual. When it tells you how to wind the bobbin, wind one. If you run into any problems, make a note. When you figure out how to do it, write it down. When you get past the basic basics, make samples and LABEL AND KEEP THEM. My labeling device of choice is a ballpoint pen right on the scrap.

I have sets of this sort of stuff weaseled away for several different machines including the "new" older ones I was gifted from grandmothers.

Oh, one more thing. Consider keeping the machine manuals, samples, and the note pad in plastic page savers in three ring binders. I can always find something like that but not so much other methods.

Oops! One more? I go back and re-read and re-examine my binders' contents. One of them is going to an out-patient procedure my husband is having today. I refuse to just leave him. Gotta go get into my jeans.

Enjoy the tar out of your new machine!

Pat
Old 04-23-2014, 06:34 AM

How exciting!! Have fun!!