Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Block Wonder >

One Block Wonder

One Block Wonder

Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 AM

That is very pretty. I have always wanted to one of these as well. Can you say 'inspiration'?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
I can not get the tutorial. When I click on the tutorial tab, I just get pictures, no tut. What am I doing wrong?
Click on the grey tab that pops below the title when you hit "obw - tutorials"
Old 04-27-2014, 08:06 AM

Here is my OBW. So fun, you never know what you are going to get. I added applique where some blocks just didn't work. Add some cubes and you have a one of a kind quilt. The only stressful part is lining up your fabric to cut but after that it is just fun. Can't wait to see yours. They are all so different and beautiful.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473210[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bailey 029 (2).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	828.0 KB
ID:	473210  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM

thanks to Cutebuns for the tute, I downloaded to save for future reference.

Angelina, your quilt is wonderful!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Guess I am in the minority...tried a stack and whack and just hated it! Then again, I am a "matchy kind of a girl"
Old 04-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Oh how wonderful. I have always wanted to make one if these but do not have the courage to do it. you have done a wonderful job.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:06 PM

baily, how in the world did you do this.. ?? its wonderful.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM

I really like making OBW's. It's the only method of making a quilt I've done more than once, other than PP. The key is picking a good print in colors you like. The actual print itself, will get cut up so much it doesn't really matter what it is. In the end you are playing with color and some pattern when you arrange your blocks into your design. I prefer to only use the hexagons, no sashing in between. I like how the colors flow from one area to another. Remember if using hexagons, you have 3 choices with your triangles of which corner will be in the center of your block. This is what makes each quilt so different, if many people are using the same fabric. Also just cutting off a 1/4" wide sliver from your row, before cutting your triangles will change the triangles you get in the end. Many people don't like the designing portion, but that is one of my favorite parts of the process. You need a design wall for sure. Make sure to stand back at least 10' or more, to study what you've arranged before deciding on an arrangement. I bought a piece of half round trim, to use as a pressing stick. I cut it into 2 pieces. One is a couple feet long and the other is about 5' long. This really makes pressing those seams open much easier. I do not have a muslin cover over mine, I just use the bare wood. It works fine. If you've turned your triangles so the straight of grain is not on an outside edge, just be a bit careful about stretching those edges when you sew the triangles together into strips. For me making a OBW is the fastest method to make a quilt. Use a rather large quilting design, since there are so many seams coming together in so many places. Try to avoid stitching right thru where 6 triangles all come together. Plus the design is usually so busy you won't see the quilting anyway.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
There is a great step by step video tutorial on OBW at http://www.ifthesethreadscouldtalk.com/ click on the OBW tutorial tab.
tartan I can't thank you enough for sharing this link! She does an excellent job of showing step by step instructions! 5 years ago or more I bought everything to make one of these but then never gathered the courage to make it. I now can with this fabulous tute! I am sending the creator of it a big thank you as well. It never ceases to amaze me how generous folks are with their time and knowledge.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:22 PM

Bailey, wow your quilt is a stunner. Love all the info about these quilts. One of these is on my bucket list for sure.