Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
18mm   or 28mm  cutter? >

18mm or 28mm cutter?

18mm or 28mm cutter?

Old 04-26-2014, 03:35 PM

hummmmmm now I am wondering if the 18 mm will cut through 6 layers of fabric? LOL Seems like the more I find out the more questions I have
Old 04-26-2014, 04:44 PM

Research seems to indicate that the 18 and 28 mm cutters won't be able to cut through very many layers of fabric. Looks like 2 or possibly 3 layers will be the maximum. Oh well, I'm glad I enjoy the cutting process. LOL
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM

I use the 45 to cut through up to 8 layers of fabric. The 60 will cut 12 layers if you are determined enough. I probably wouldn't even attempt more than 2 or 3 with the 28. The overall size, handle & blade, just don't seem tough enough to do many layers. I do notice that the smaller the mm, the quicker the blade gets dull. Maybe it's because I have been using the 28mm for cutting around the arcs and they all include paper. Duh....In some of the areas of Desert Sky and Bali Wedding Star where a lot of seams meet, I am cutting through at least 4 fabrics, a seam and the paper. I'm pushing down with a lot of force. When I am using the 60, there is only 1 piece of paper with the 12 layers of fabric. Probably makes a difference.

Just a little added note. I took a class from Judy Niemeyer recently. When she cuts around her arcs or inset circles as in Desert Sky, Sunflower Illusions, etc, she uses her 60mm and she is very accurate. I was amazed. I couldn't cut evenly with my 45mm, and there she was, using the 60mm. So, just because I feel more comfortable using the 28mm, that doesn't mean you might not feel very comfortable using the larger blades.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-27-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 PM

I've never made a DWR, but I use the 28 mm almost exclusively for all my cutting. I find the 45 and 60 too large to handle comfortably and the 18mm is a bit too small for most applications. I highly recommend a 28mm cutter. Now, having never made a DWR, does my opinion count? LOL

Good luck with your quilt! Trust the QB members who have made a DWR.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by saperry View Post
Hello I have decided to try my hand at a DWR. I have a 45mm rotary cutter and think I should get a smaller one for the curves on the DWR. Which size do you think would be best? 18 mm or 28 mm?
Does anyone have any experience with cutting curved template pieces? Thanks for listening to my question. Looking forward to hearing all of your opinions
Thanks for asking a great question !!!

Looks like i need to try a smaller size. Would probably be a good idea to have them around even if i don't use them all of the time.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:08 AM

I, too, use a 28mm almost exclusively, don't even own a 45mm, just the 28mm and a 60mm. It cuts through 4 layers easily and cleanly, and will do 6 layers of average weight quilting cotton (meaning not Kona weight) with a fresh blade. I've cut circles smaller than DWR arcs many times with mine, templated and freehand.

The reasons I'd say to go with the 28mm instead of the 18mm are because it's easier to find replacement blades, it's far more versitile, and it's more comfortable in the hand.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I never cut more then two layers with the 28 and only one with the 18. That makes a big difference.