Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Missouri Star tutorials >

Missouri Star tutorials

Missouri Star tutorials

Old 04-28-2014, 04:41 AM

Yes, I just love Jenny Doan and their new magazine, Block
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 AM

Love MSQ would love to go there someday and meet Jenny I made several of her blocks.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by yadroc View Post
I tried this block and loved it. Told a friend to watch the video and she came up with a great idea. So I tried it. I made two identical blocks, then sewed them on all four sides right sides together. Then cut one on the diagonal (block on left). Then I did the same thing with two more blocks, but the colours were reversed (block on right).
Let's see if I have this right.
I think you need to make a second block from the very start with the red as the second block on top of the print. Cut the red and explode it. Then add tan and explode that. If you put that block on top of the original block (with the tan next to the print) and explode that, you will come up with the second block in your picture.

Is that correct? You need to make a reversed color block?

Last edited by maviskw; 04-28-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM

oh yes, Jennie and her tutes are fabulous for the quilting community and I'm sure her business has benefited too ... great collaboration.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 AM

I love the tutes. In fact just yesterday I watched the "spider web block" tute and had to buy the template and white charm packs. This is going to be so easy for my DH to follow and I know it will use up tons of scraps.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM

I believe she did the last block the same as the other 'exploding' block. Instead of layering a solid color on top, she layered another pieced block. With an exploding, after sewing 1/4" all around the outside, you only cut the diagonals thru one layer, then open it up and iron it. If you look at the very outer corners, if folded in, they would form the flower center.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
I believe she did the last block the same as the other 'exploding' block. Instead of layering a solid color on top, she layered another pieced block. With an exploding, after sewing 1/4" all around the outside, you only cut the diagonals thru one layer, then open it up and iron it. If you look at the very outer corners, if folded in, they would form the flower center.
Yes, the one on the left is made that way, but the one on the right has the outer colors reversed. Yardoc; post #6.
If you want the one on the right, you have to make the bottom block as the one on the left, then make the top block with the outer colors reversed: Start with the print, add the red, cut and press, then add the tan, cut and press. After that block is added to the original block, sewn around the outside, cut and pressed, you will come up with the second block. Hope this is understandable.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by crafty41 View Post
Love MSQ would love to go there someday and meet Jenny I made several of her blocks.
I did go to their store and was so excited to meet her! And......soooooo disappointed in how "unfriendly" she was.
i first saw her walking down the street and she barely acknowledged my greeting. Then I was in her store and tried to tell her how much I loved her videos and she was only politely responsive and moved on to talk to some obvious locals. I was taken by surprise because she seems so friendly on her videos.
I still love MSQC! I just don't feel quite so warm and fuzzy watching Jenny. Lol.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM

I think everyone on this board loves Jenny and her tutorials. I know I do.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:19 PM

Yadroc - that is beautiful - love it!! :-)

Marysewfun