Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting With Large Stitches >

Hand Quilting With Large Stitches

Hand Quilting With Large Stitches

Old 04-28-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kath12 View Post
Check out this web site: http://www.JoQuilter.com
She specializes in Big Stitch quilting. Our guild had her come and do a presentation and a workshop of the big stitch. She uses #12 thread and #5 between needles. She has a large variety of colors of thread. I took a small group of friends to her shop and she is more than willing to give a demonstration on the technique. She always has an ongoing project to work on and several examples of her work. If you live in the area of Bellevue, IA, you should stop in for a visit.
In addition to this post, Jo gave this tip on designing your quilting: cut out shapes out of freezer paper and scatter them around your quilt top, press and then stitch around them. I did this on a fall table runner and had cut out various leaves and acorns, then stitched around them.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 AM

I've done several wall quilts with big stitch. I used #8 perle cotton and a size 8 quilting needle.
My problem was starting and ending invisibly. If someone has figured that out I'd love to hear about it.

Re: dangerous for little toes and fingers, these aren't toe catcher stitched, they nestle into the fabric, you'd need to use something to pull them up. It really is a lovely quilting option.

Re: embroidery floss, absolutely you can use it. If I remember correctly the Japanese white on blue version was done this way. It began long ago to keep layers of the jacket held together for warmth and longevity. But we always find a way to make sensible to include beauty also, don't we?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

well, you all gave me the idea of doing a big stitch on a quilt of old quilt blocks I'd purchased at a quilt show long ago. But I forgot, I'd already tied it!! sigh. Oh well, I'm not taking all those ties out but it would have looked good with big stitches. Maybe next time.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I have taken a look a Sashiko, but I'm thinking of using some of those techniques in another context.
~ Cindy
I used the big stich method on a small wool applique on linen quilt. Used pearl cotton. Looks great.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:47 PM

My DH brought in a small size quilt from a second hand store and I looked and it had big stitches and I thought if I hand quilted that is probably how I would have to do mine. I didn't know that there was an actual big stitch method.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
Wow! I love that Emmaj1045! Your quilting looks great and it really adds a wonderful appearance to the quilt. You have inspired me!
I agree!!! Can you tell us what size and type of needle you used, Emmaj1045?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kath12 View Post
In addition to this post, Jo gave this tip on designing your quilting: cut out shapes out of freezer paper and scatter them around your quilt top, press and then stitch around them. I did this on a fall table runner and had cut out various leaves and acorns, then stitched around them.
Excellent idea! Freezer paper is easy to use and remove. I never would have thought of that!
~ Cindy
Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
well, you all gave me the idea of doing a big stitch on a quilt of old quilt blocks I'd purchased at a quilt show long ago. But I forgot, I'd already tied it!! sigh. Oh well, I'm not taking all those ties out but it would have looked good with big stitches. Maybe next time.
Well...when you've go lemons, make lemonade...as the saying goes. I think that I would incorporate the ties into the Big Stitch design...make them the center of bullseyes, or connect vines and leaves on them so that they look like flower buds.

~ Cindy
Old 05-03-2014, 05:43 AM

I've found this video helpful in learning utility or big stitch quilting. http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/01/.../?SSAID=389818

I did make a baby quilt using this method and the stitches are small enough that they won't pose a problem with little fingers/toes.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I've not see this before but I'm in process of making my oldest DS a camouflage Hunter's star. This just may be the way to go. I have a lot of heavy duty thread and the quilt is going to be about the size between lap and twin. Hmmmm!