Quilt Challenge!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Joanieu
I am in also... Last week I sorted all my scraps by light, medium and dark - have been thinking about what to make since money is real tight for us right now. I have looked at quiltville.com for a while now also, but I just want to sew it all together without having a main fabric. And some of my pieces are real small or thin. Does that matter? Also, can you just use scraps for the back, wouldn't that be kind of a reversible quilt? Don't know, but will start using scraps next month. Have lap quilt (pieced about 2 years ago) that I am quilting on now.
Sounds like you have the makings for some paper pieced quilts.. you can use up very small pieces for that method. Good luck.. this is going to be lots of fun to see all the scrappy quilts that will come from this challenge. Use those scraps for the back is a great idea, my mom also did that often as she lived through the depression & cut up all our clothes when we grew up & used all of them in quilts. She didn't (couldn't afford) to buy new fabric so this was her means of quilting... using scraps!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:56 AM

Count me in. I have at least a million +scraps. Will be sending them to the injured soldiers in Afganistan. They are in a need of a few hundred quilts and we are all sewing as fast as we can. I should have 30 ready by the first part of January and then can start over again. If anyone wants to donate these are 36"x60" quilts (no red please) we send them to the hospitals in Afganistan and Iraq thru Operation Quiet Comfort.
ps I will be starting a blog the first of the year for those pillow cases and any blankets that need to be made. Watch for it.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Hello y'all, I just joined yesterday and am enjoying the posts. I haven't quilted before so I am trying to learn.
Can anyone tell me what a design board or wall is and how do you make one?
Thanks!!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I joined a local guild and the ladies there are heavily involved with "Quilts of Valor" these quilts go to an Army Hospital in Germany and are gived to wounded servicemen there, so I have sewn a couple of 9-patch in red, white and blue.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Image00
Hello y'all, I just joined yesterday and am enjoying the posts. I haven't quilted before so I am trying to learn.
Can anyone tell me what a design board or wall is and how do you make one?
Thanks!!
It is a board/wall that you can "stick" fabric pieces to, like felt.. I have heard some people say they've used tablecloth backs or large piece of felt-like material that can lay or be hung from the ceiling or higher place.. it's where you can place your cut pieces of fabric to make the design you want, with the option of moving them around. Maybe some else can explain it a little better. Hope this helps.. just ask.. there are lots of very fantastic, knowlegeable people on here that are happy to help!
You will love everyone!!

Fannie
Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 PM
dsj

I really like your quilt. Scraps sounds kind of mean they should be called lovies or something nicer at least. They make beautiful heartfelt treasures after-all. Your quilt proves it. good job
Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 PM
dsj

Hi from Tennessee. A design board is usually made of a piece of felt large enough to hang on the wall so you can display your fabric to design your quilt. The felt holds the fabric in place. Glad to have you.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 AM

Scrap quilt in 2010, great idea for a giveaway.
My friend belongs to a online quilt group and each of the girls sent her at least one orphan square.
Our group of 3 gals took the squares, added scrap blocks and sashing from our scraps and made 3 quilts for giveaway to a local veteran's home. We had so many blocks that we put two tops together for both the front and the back, making them reversible. We tied them, instead of quilting them. They were warm and comforting for the reciepients. What a pleasure it was to see their faces.
The girls are going to do it again this year, we are doing the same for a women's and children's homeless shelter.

It is challenging, fun and economical...and so appreciated.

This can also be done for fire and flood victims your own area.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 AM

Are you surprised that this just keeps going. I didn't realize it was from 2007 at first either. I just made two tops from scraps for charity. I plan to do more in 2010. I will post pictures later since I mailed them to my Mom to use to learn on her new long arm quilting machine she purchased. That will be our bonding time while I'm home for Christmas.

Lisa
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Great idea. I am about to start a scrap quilt I saw on one of my favorite blogs. I am trying to use up all my scarps before my next local quilt fair in March. Last night I pieced all my scap batting together for a lap quilt I am working on. And I just started a scrap bin. Can't wait to see what everyone makes.