Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you put you sandwich together? >

How do you put you sandwich together?

How do you put you sandwich together?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 AM

I have a king size bed that I cover with an old flannel flat sheet. The flannel keeps everything from moving around, better than clips or tape, and is large enough to cover everything and protect it from over spray. My batting goes down first then I arrange the backing on that, peel back half, spray lightly, and smooth down. Repeat for other half. Wait few minute (time for cup of tea?). Flip over so batting is on top and repeat process for quilt top. When spraying I direct the mist toward the center to cut down or eliminate overspray. With really big quilts I have to lift and shift somewhat but that is not a problem. My knees & back love this method. Do note that I said 'spray lightly'. Always easy to lift sides and shoot a bit more in if necessary. My machine and/or needles have NEVER gummed up! I like June Taylor, Dritz, or 505. Sullivans (pink can) is really sticky and smelly.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 AM

I use my design wall and dropcloth. start with backing, batt, then top. easy and fast.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 PM

I used to do it on the floor, with lots of pins, then I tried spray besting which worked, but stinks to high heaven, then one of you wonderful quilters turned me on to glue basting. I just put a plastic tarp on my bed in morning, lay out the ironed backing, cover it with the batting, then fold the batting back, and swizzle the straight Elmer's all over the backing as close as I used to pin, then carefully lay the batting back down and raise the other end. I do the same for the top, and doing it in the morning gives it time to dry before bed. Works great and no issues with sewing through it, but I used real skinny lines of glue just in case. Washing takes it all out for me, but I have only used it on cotton, so I don't know how it would act on synthetics.

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-29-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 PM

I baste with curved safety pins. I use 2 long tables, lay out the backing wrong side up; clamp with binder clips to the table. The backing and batting are at least 4" bigger than the quilt top. Next I lay the batting on the backing and smooth it out, then lay the quilt top on the batting. I center the backing,batting and quilt top so that it all comes out right. Then I pin about every 3-4" all over the quilt sandwich.
I don't use basting spray its not good for someone with asthma, probably not good for anyone. I've been machine quilting for over 20 years, I've learned what works for me.
Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 04-29-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added text.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Ok ladies. I bought Elmers washable school glue today. Wish me luck!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Delilah I too use my King size bed with an old thick sheet laid on it 1st, then I spray baste all the layers but then I also pin it all. I'm a beginner sewing on a DSM so I do a lot of wrestling to get it quilted so I'm afraid of the basting coming undone, I know this is doubling my work but better safe than sorry.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:26 PM

The kitchen floor in my previous home had precise one-foot squares in the pattern. I taped (a little packing tape, but mostly painters tape) the backing down first, then smoothed out the batting on top of it, then basted the top on. I never had a quilt come out so perfect, and it was king size.