Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Some one asked me to make a quilt for MONEY... >

Some one asked me to make a quilt for MONEY...

Some one asked me to make a quilt for MONEY...

Old 04-29-2014, 06:19 AM

Beautiful quilt.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 AM

Love it the colors are beautiful, good job.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 AM

So pretty, I'll bet she will feel like it is worth whatever she paid for it.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:47 AM

A great top.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
Very nice....I was just asked to do a King quilt. They want me to make it instead of buying one at Sears...think is...1. no glue how much it will cost me, not including labor...so sad that they make them less then the fabric we can buy. 2. not attachment or love for homemade...so they might as well buy at Sear...3. just no appreciation...I gave him a king quilt I make and spent a lot of time on...he told me to just tell him how much ....which I did not..they would never believe me...so torn...and he wants another one.
It is a shame that people don't understand the costs. When asked to do a quilt, I will give them a break down of costs--$10 a yard x number of yards used(and don't forget backing), an amount for other materials (thread, bat, wear & tear on my machines, utilizes-I just clump this amount and give a list of what's included but don't break it down), then my labor--think about the total time you spend on a quilt--I always say this includes the design, cutting, stitching the top, doing the quilting. If asked I will give that estimate by showing a quilt and saying how much time is in it--so start keeping a rough estimate of how long it's taking you to make a quilt. Some people will balk instantly when presented with an estimate, others will then see the work involved and agree to the quilt. Some will ask why they can get it so much cheaper at Walmart, etc--which is when you point out that those are made overseas where folks work for pennies because they don't have the overhead you do, plus sometimes the quality of materials is much less, plus they may not be handmade. Now, if you are making the quilts anyway just be making quilts, and get an offer for a purchase, I would hope that you are at least asking for payment for the supplies and some, if not all, of your time. I know someone that was taking a loss on materials and the cost of the long arm quilter she uses to make quilts for customers that were not being gifted--she just wasn't sure what to charge and was afraid they would be insulted at the price. good luck!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 AM

Beautiful....love the batiks!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM

One quilter reports in a book by Sylvia Landman (Make Money Quilting) that her rule of thumb is cost of goods , 40% and labor 60%. It's only one of the examples but not too bad. Consideration must be given to special extras such as intricate fancy quilting, etc. My advice is: would you be willing to make another at your asking price? Because, you may have repeat business.....if you are suddenly swamped with new orders, you may not have charged enough. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Oh how pretty
Old 04-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt, I'm sure she will love it.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:37 PM

The beautiful! The colors are perfect.