Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine preference - call me nuts...but >

Sewing machine preference - call me nuts...but

Sewing machine preference - call me nuts...but

Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 AM

I have the 6600 Professional Janome which I absolutely love. I do my own machine quilting on it and the extra 3 inches in the harp area really make a difference and I love the Start/Stop button, up/down button, and scissor button and I think they only come on a computerized model. With that said, I have a new "lady" in my sewing room. Her name is Elna - easy to figure out it is an Elna Mechanical sewing machine. My Janome is quite heavy and did not care to drag that one to retreats, classes, etc. so was on the lookout for a mechanical machine. Went to some garage sales last Saturday specifically to look for a mechanical machine. I was about to give up on finding one when low and behold I walked up to a garage sale and there were "4" machines - all mechanical. The owner worked in a quilt store and these machines were demonstration machines. There was a Janome, Huskavarna, Viking and Elna. The lady told me they had all been just serviced and cleaned. I asked her which one she recommended and she was hesitant but finally said the Elna. All I had was cash along and had enough for the Elna - it is a 2006 model. She cost me $125, got her home and what a beauty. She sews and purrs along like a charm. Did I pay too much for her -I don't think so - what do you think? The lady also gave me her name and address (and I know where she lives also) in case it didn't work like it should.

I'm happy and now have a more portable machine for classes, retreats and when I want to sew downstairs to keep hubby company.

Last edited by Karamarie; 04-29-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM

I have the latest TOL Pfaff and I absolutely love it for everything. Because it is a sewing/embroidery machine I kept my older mechanical Pfaff to sew on while my new one is doing embroidery. However, I miss all the bells and whistles when I have to sew on it.
I do take the mechanical one with me when we travel in our 5th wheel cause it takes up a whole lot less room, but I am always happy to get back home and sew on my big computerized one.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 AM

I've only had computerized machines, and it seems like they balk at the seams or anywhere the fabric is a little thicker. They do sew through though. I can understand why it may be easier to get a "work horse" that just sews without always questioning itself!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 AM

I have definitely noticed. I have a Janome 11,000 SE and the body of it is thick and too close to the needle, it is hard to see under there. I have found it is easier to thread if I flip the door open so I can see better,. It's easier to replace the needle if I get on the floor so I'm eye level. I also used a Sharpie to make a mark of where to aim. Since I have neck issues this is all discouraging to me.

I went against all the good advice to "try before you buy" because I wanted to take advantage of free financing for five years and bought it from a store in CA which mainly sells online.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I sold my Janome and have been using all mechanical machines ever since. My sewing improved and I am happier. Has anybody else noticed that you have a lot of neck fatigue when you sew on some machines? I like the Singer 403 and the Singer 15 (or a Singer 15 clone) because I don't get neck fatigue - I think it is because I can see what I am doing so much better on those machines.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 AM

For any sewing that requires a straight stitch (both forward and reverse), I love my Singer Featherweight. It is the best for piecing, but works great when I am crafting. It sewed right through 8 layers of fabric and two layers of batting like a hot knife going through butter when I made my laste tote. FWs were made to be workhorses, and 60 years later, they are still going strong.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
Well, I have come to the conclusion, that I love my mechanical Viking Emerald 118 over my Janome Horizon 12000 when it comes to piecing quilts. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 12000 when it comes to quilting and embroidering but that's where the love ends. The viking seems to sew better ....it can take a beating and never seems to miss a stitch. Is it me or do others have a preference for a non computerized machine? Do you "feel" a difference when sewing? If not then call me nuts. Lol
That is why most of us have more than one machine. Different machines do a better job than others, depending what's being sewn. I used to sell new Vikings, love,love the mechanical Emerald line.
I prefer sewing my quilt blocks with a treadle machine and do the quilting and binding with my Viking Sapphire 875.

TeresaA,
I find it truly sad, that today's Singer isn't a quality machine like the antique Singers. Some of my machines are over 100 years old and still sew beautiful stitch. The machines shown are: a 1910 Singer 66-1 and a 1917 White rotary, both are treadles. I sew quite a few of my quilt blocks with these machines.
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1910 Singer red eye 003.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	473635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy Street and White Rotary 002.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	473637  

Last edited by purplefiend; 04-29-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added text
Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
That is why most of us have more than one machine. Different machines do a better job than others, depending what's being sewn. I used to sell new Vikings, love,love the mechanical Emerald line.
I prefer sewing my quilt blocks with a treadle machine and do the quilting and binding with my Viking Sapphire 875.

TeresaA,
I find it truely sad that today's Singer isn't a quality machine like the antique Singers. Some of my old machines are over 100 years old and still sew beautiful stitch.
Sharon
If you could go to any serious sewing shop/factory and you would see a variety of machines. Each will be set up for a task.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:46 PM

I use only PFAFF tried a Viking did not like it at all and went back to my Pfaff. The IDT can't be beat. Am looking to purchase the new passport for classes. I use a 7570 now but sometimes would like something ligheter. Also have the creative sensation. Have a featherweight but have never used it have to get it out and clean it up and see how i like it.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:07 PM
ro
Banned

karamarie that sounds like a good deal to me. enjoy your machine
Old 04-29-2014, 05:42 PM

Like my mechanical Brother 1500 over my Viking Sapphire 870. The Sapphire has a lot more stitches, but for just plain hard work give me a mechanical any day. And, non of that expensive "servicing".