Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Southern Illinois quilt shops? >

Any Southern Illinois quilt shops?

Any Southern Illinois quilt shops?

Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 AM

Default Any Southern Illinois quilt shops?

I am going to be in Southern Illinois (Centralia area) for the entire summer (from Boston, MA). I was wondering if there are any quilt shops near there that I can visit? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am not really looking for Joann shops but more of the individually owned shops. Thank you so much.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Not real familiar with the area, but isn't Hancock's of Paducah only around an hour ride?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 AM

There are several quilt shops in Paducah
Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 PM

I live in Centralia. We don't have much to offer here in town, not a fabric store at all. There is a very nice QSIn Fairview Heights. Jackmans is the name of it, it's not hard to find you can google it and get directions. It's where I go when buying fabric. Fairview Heights is about 50 miles west of Centralia.
Another option is Paducah Kentucky, we are two hours north of it. It has Hancocks of Paducah. They also have a quilt museum there. I have never been to either place but I intend to go to the Paducah quilt show next year. I'm sure they have other quilt shops there also but I don't know anything about them.
I f you are going to be doing any sewing while you are here bring everything that you need. Here in town there's not even a store that sells cheap thread. It's terrible to say but as for shopping we have next to nothing to offer. The closest place to really shop is Fairview Heights. We are also about an hour and fifteen mins. From downtown St. Louis. If I can be of any help just let me know.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:24 PM

Two quilt shops in West Frankfort. (Sew Special Quilt Shop and Calico Country) Material Girls in Mt. Vernon, IL
Old 04-30-2014, 03:35 PM

Thank you ladies. I had no idea that Paducah was so close to that area! And now I'm so excited to be in this area and have the chance of a lifetime to go to the Nat'l Quilt Museum!!!

Thanks Annie Pearl for the warning of making sure I have all my supplies. I live in an area where I have tons of choices for grabbing anything I need at almost any time of the day or night. It will be an adjustment for sure . I will come very prepared. I am driving out. So I will have my big machine and all my supplies with me.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 PM
yel

real close to paducha and eb has a store there as well ...calico corner is near hancocks ,.....there is another in benton ky ..then in southern indiana .....booneville has one .evansville has one or two .,,,washington indiana has a nice one on main street then the amish have a few near there as well ....
Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I live in Centralia. We don't have much to offer here in town, not a fabric store at all. There is a very nice QSIn Fairview Heights. Jackmans is the name of it, it's not hard to find you can google it and get directions. It's where I go when buying fabric. Fairview Heights is about 50 miles west of Centralia.
Another option is Paducah Kentucky, we are two hours north of it. It has Hancocks of Paducah. They also have a quilt museum there. I have never been to either place but I intend to go to the Paducah quilt show next year. I'm sure they have other quilt shops there also but I don't know anything about them.
I f you are going to be doing any sewing while you are here bring everything that you need. Here in town there's not even a store that sells cheap thread. It's terrible to say but as for shopping we have next to nothing to offer. The closest place to really shop is Fairview Heights. We are also about an hour and fifteen mins. From downtown St. Louis. If I can be of any help just let me know.

Sorry, but I left one quilt store out. It's in Nashville Illinois and called Lee's Variety. It is a mom and pop variety store with a fairly large craft area. They have fabric but not the newest lines if that's what you want, just old fashioned quilting calicoes. They do have a lot of quilting stencils,a limited supply of quilting notions, and so on. It's a old fashioned store and it's worth the experience. The ladies that work in the craft area aren't the friendliest girls on earth but they are helpful when asked. IMO. Nashville isn't far from Centralia probably 30 miles or so, it's a pretty town and the county seat of Washington County.
I hope you enjoy your stay here and what we have to offer. If you like to site see the Shawnee National Forest area in deep southern Illinois is truly beautiful and St Louis is just a nice drive away.
Lee Ann
Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Just came back from bus trip to Paduach with a group from Litchfield and also know of a quilt shop in Staunton, Illinois. Staunton has nice selection and Fairview, Heights has a JoAnn's, Hancocks, Walmart as well as Jackman's that carries fabric. All of those of course are closer than Paduach, although visiting the Quilt Museum makes the two hour trip well worth it.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 AM

The Quilt Museum makes a four hour trip worth it, so if you can while you are only about 2 hrs away try to make it.