Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM

Spring has sprung and so has weeds. I love gardening and that's taken a lot of my time. Easter has been here and brought lots of family. More time consumed. But I love it. I haven't spent as much time in my sewing room as I'd like but I have found the rest of my life is rewarding too!

Qlter Sue, some ways of assembly are easier, it takes a little bit of thought to figure it out. Good for you and your completion, feels so good doesn't it.
Karen G, 3 finishes, way to go!
Coopah, courage to toss, I need to borrow some from you. Good job. frees up your mind.

My Orca Bay is completely pieced! However it is in four sections, sandwiched and ready for the quilting. I couldn't make the quilt as you go work with the pattern I had in mind so I'm just going to quilt it in sections and then combined together. I'm so grateful for all encouragement received. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:31 AM

Rhonda Lee, it was more frustration than courage that led to tossing the 'shredder!' Since letting that go, I've finished the UFO in my avatar and begun a new quilt. It's kind of a DP4 patch. Hadn't done one of those, so thought I should!

Keep going everyone...our summer is like your winter...we stay indoors much of the time as the humidity just makes one wilt as soon as the door to the great outdoors is opened! There should be more quilts/projects done by me. :-)
Old 04-28-2014, 03:53 AM

So happy to have the top together! Only two long seams used to join. Did have to pay attention to which way to press the seams to get them to interlock, but worked well. Now for layering and quilting! Will have it done just in time for the warm weather to arrive here. lol! Two fun things this weekend to feed my soul: Dropped in on my old guild's quilt show on Friday; came away inspired to quilt more and try some new things and maybe even join again. And just for some fun, sewed some scrap strips to squares of deli paper (a la Bonnie Hunter) then trimmed to my 9 1/2" ruler size for a future donation quilt. was fun to use strips found in two large shopping bags when cleaning up the sewing room. Good weekend--happy sewing, everyone!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 PM

I have not finished any UFOs this month. I did finish a baby quilt top and it's being quilted. I have been working on my Hunter's Star, which I hope to finish piecing before I leave on a cruise on the 12th of May. It's inspiring to hear about all the projects being completed by this group.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:52 PM

I just found this thread but had posted on the finished picture one. I definitely am in need of UFO completions! Up u til 2007 I ALWAYS was of the mind set that I had to "finish one before starting another" , Well then I went to work at a quIlt store and life just got crazy busy......Now I am the proud owner or should I say embarrassed to say I count 38 UFO's. Some of them need just binding, some quilting and binding, some just finished setting together, and then others finished piecing. I am so looking forward to completions.....Thanks for starting this! I have been working on some binding so hopefully will have some finishes coming up soon..
Old 05-17-2014, 03:44 AM

JAGSD, I think you win the prize for most uncompleted! This group will be a good place to help you finish some of them. Welcome.
I've finished eight placemats, one sweatshirt jacket, and squared up a UFO and took it to a LAQulter to get that one done. (Otherwise, the kid I made it for would graduate HS before it got done!LOL). This week and next is purse class. It will probably be the only one I ever make, but that can get marked off my bucket list.

Last edited by coopah; 05-17-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:52 PM

Hi JAGSD, and welcome aboard. Just one project at a time at this point and you'll have the results you want. Good luck on getting some of them completed.

I have still been working on Orca Bay. I'm in the quilting process of it now and I'm not moving fast. Lot's of interruptions, but that is life isn't it. At least I still come back to this quilt and do what I can on it. I think it's really kicked me pretty hard. I have never wanted a long arm until now. The quilting of this one is bringing me to my knees!
Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
I have still been working on Orca Bay. <snip> I have never wanted a long arm until now. The quilting of this one is bringing me to my knees!
Rhonda, I think this is hilarious. Orca Bay is reason I own a longarm I fought with that quilt, stuffing it through my domestic and it just about killed me. And I did a small version! Halfway through I said "That's IT!" and went out and bought myself a longarm machine. Of course, I still had to finish Orca on the domestic, so I didn't look 1/2 done each way. But that was the last quilt I did on that machine.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:26 AM

Kristakz, hilarious is right! Same quilt, same thoughts. Maybe it's a sign of things to come. I don't know why this has been such a challenge. I've made a lot of quilts and been content to go the flow with them. This quilt has fire with it though and I am browsing longarm sites, umm, getting downright serious. Orca Bay is not to be dealt with lightly! Should come with a warning...
Old 05-18-2014, 06:00 AM

Since the topic of the dreaded ORCA came up I thought I would share my UFO. The reason I lost interest in this one is because the secondary pattern didn't immerge. I think its because there isn't enough contrast between the greens and purples. On the other hand if there is a long arm in my future I think it would be worth finishing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P5180006.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	849.0 KB
ID:	475922