Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine >

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Old 05-01-2014, 04:27 AM

The quality of the paper and binding, the excellence of the photography, and rich graphic design make this an attractive magazine/book. Even if I never make any of the projects (although I'm planning to start one soon), it is very enjoyable to look through the two issues I have purchased. I will definitely keep ordering.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 AM

If there is content in any magazine, quilting or otherwise, I don't mind the advertising. In printed material you can always flip past the advertising unlike broadcast (TV radio) where you have to wait for it to end. The advertising helps keep the magazine affordable. The issue for me is whether there is enough content to justify my buying the magazine in the first place. I know, we want it all - lots of content to our taste, no ads and low price. It's not going to happen.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:07 AM

If you have ever seen Jenny in person she will tell you right up front to buy from and support your local quilt shop.
I really enjoy the Block magazine/book they have produced. You don't have to buy any precuts, use your own stash. We all have plenty of fabric "hiding" around waiting to be used in a quilt/project. Personally will continue to have a Block subscription in my future!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:31 AM

"Oh my goodness, am so surprised that there is anyone who doesn't care for Block magazine. And to actually want to unsubscribe. 6$ wont make or break me, and I'm known as CHEAPIE, I dont think I would do that even if I didn't like the mag. Just forgo a hamburger basket would make up the cost."

I wrote an honest critique of MSQC's Block magazine, based solely on my opinion. I was not expressing a judgemental statement about MSQC. I did not say I did not like Block magazine. Also if anyone wants to subscribe or unsubscribe to the magazine that is their personal business and does not deserve a judgemental remark from anyone. Also how I spend my money is totally up to me alone.
What all of you are saying about the company is true; family owned, customer friendly ( I have even ordered from them several times.), and so on. The fact still remains that they say there is no advertising in the magazine when the whole intent of the publication is for advertising. It is no doubt an excellent marketing tool.

Last edited by pewa88; 05-01-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:56 AM

Pewa88.... U aren't alone on your assessment of the 2nd block...I haven't seen it but I heard about it from couple others. They were disappointed in how much ads were in there but loved the quality of the book and said 1st Block was way more appreciated. There won't be new tute til later...these are the past ones..we will get to them in order of showing.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I like the magazine. For me, it is helpful to have the printed instructions, rather than just the video. I hope, though, that they stay mostly focused on quilts. The second issue has several projects--quilted projects, yes--but I really prefer quilt patterns rather than bags or table runners.
I rather like the fact that they show other projects besides just quilts. Sometimes I just want to do something that I can finish in just a day or two for either a gift or simply for instant gratification
Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Some people think we are slow. We just don't sweat the small stuff. I will keep up my subscription to the Block.
That is one of the attracting things I love about Jenny - that "don't panic" approach. I love her style. She shows something in the video and "oops" - but she keeps right on going just like I imagine she would be as the neighbor next door helping me to learn - and there is always that "see, its easy approach".

Marysewfun
Old 05-01-2014, 07:19 AM

I like watching the tutes, but really like having a hard copy for reference...and review....I guess because of my age.....what if my computer decides to fry in the middle of a tute I am working from......book will not instantaneously combust! I know someone who has a lot of instructional VHSs and no longer a device to play them from, but a book can be for a long time...although, true, techniques to accomplish may upgrade......I have some very old mags that still recommend cardboard templates.....so I shall continue to keep my subscription to BLOCK active...even though I may not do the project the way presented, or with precuts, as suggested, nonetheless the ideas offered are good today and will be tomorrow...whether I have an electronic device handy or not.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Yes Trisha, I agree. The magazine is beautiful - I look at it and feel it and cry for all the trees that are gone because of it. The photography is wonderful, the instructions clear, it is great. I canceled my subscription….
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 AM

I haven't seen the magazine, as I stopped all Quilting subscriptions some time ago. Granted they need to sell ads to keep the cost down, and sell product, but most magazines simply don't have any new thoughts. A person will change one corner on a block and declare it "new & original", which in my opinion is not new at all. Like many I rarely use pre-cuts as prefer my own yardage. Same with most Christmas magazines. Nothing new under the Sun.