Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she >

Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she

Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she

Old 05-03-2014, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
I am of the mind of several of the above posters; I never ask for advice in JoAnn's--I just estimate what I think I might need and buy it. If you are near Whittle's in Kentucky, now there is where you can get some excellent advice from everyone there, even some of the customers!

But I see you're from Florida, so remember that when you are passing through Tennessee on I-65 and watch for them; they are just above Bowling Green in Kentucky.
We go this way when we go back to Michigan. Now another place to add to my bucket list. Thanks
Old 05-03-2014, 03:53 AM

My best friend when ordering fabric for bindings and backings is the Robert Kaufman Quilting Calculator you can download for FREE to your smart phone. I work in a quilt shop and use it on a regular basis. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 AM

I have a work friend that went to work at a JoAnn's for Christmas a year ago. She could not believe that of the half dozen people that was hired with her, NO one sewed, knitted or crocheted. Then when she worked for a while, there was only one or two at that store that did. I have never asked for advise at a JoAnn's and will never, I just ask for how much fabric I need and get away from the counter. But I have been had some who do not know how to measure fabric too.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:06 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you Katier825 for that link. I can figure these things but oh my gosh, that is so quick! It is now posted on my bookmark bar
Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Well, I think it's perfectly all right to ask for help and you shouldn't feel bad about asking. The difference was in how each of you approached the problem. She offered a suggestion based on how she would do it. Cutting strips across the fabric takes less fabric for a project that small, yes; cutting parallel to the selvedge takes more....if you don't want to piece.

Next time you'll probably know ahead of time how you want to proceed.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:48 AM

I have found that many of the employees at JoAnn's aren't terribly savvy.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 AM

It seems that you asked her a question and got an honest answer based on her quilting (class) training. In my experience there are multiple ways and methods to do everything in quilting, and there really is no RIGHT way. In the end it is your project and your decision.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I often use the same fabric for an inner border as the binding, and if I have enough, I do cut lengthwise so I don't have to piece the borders. But you can do it whichever way you want. I've found that many of the people at Joann's don't have a clue. For future reference, here is a binding calculator to help you figure what you need before you go:

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/C...Calculator.php
Thanks for this site
Old 05-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I often use the same fabric for an inner border as the binding, and if I have enough, I do cut lengthwise so I don't have to piece the borders. But you can do it whichever way you want. I've found that many of the people at Joann's don't have a clue. For future reference, here is a binding calculator to help you figure what you need before you go:

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/C...Calculator.php
Thank you for that link about amt of binding one needs. I've bookmarked it.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
I went to Joanns to get fabric for binding (only). Didn't need any extra. The quilt is 41x61. I am going to cut 2 1/2" strips. I couldn't figure out how much fabric I needed (it's 44" wide)

The woman at the cutting counter told me I needed a min of 65" or so. ??? I told her I would cut 2 1/2" strips selvage to selvage and she told me no, to cut one long strip so that I didn't have to piece it. It's only one seam on the long sides and none on the short.

I've never heard of cutting 2 1/2" strips going longways on the fabric. I would have had to buy more than 2 yrds. I ended up buying a whole yard and now realize I only needed 1/2 yd.
i do work at a joanns and yes some do not have a clue about quilting i would have sold you a half a yard and told you to piece it i also quilt but i wouldn't know how much fabric to give you if you wanted bias binding but i would assume 1 yard would be plenty