Power is Out - Time to Sew

Old 03-15-2014, 05:41 PM

I hear ya, CD. My folks both worked for the Gas Co., so I know how you feel about that. (God forbid if I ever bought an electric stove!) Just a note though...I'm not without electricity. I have solar power, which actually is very reliable. We have lights, computer, dishwasher, etc. and if we had gone with a more expensive package, we probably wouldn't ever need a Jenny. We moved onto a ranch and are building a house here. The electric company doesn't offer service to our area, so this is our only option. I like it!
~ Cindy
Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 AM

My wife was happily piecing quilt blocks on her Singer 301A yesterday evening, when the power suddenly went out (again). Our quarter of town was out due to equipment problems the city is currently experiencing; a continuation of the windstorm damage a little over a week ago.

It was about 6pm with plenty of daylight coming in through the window where the 1901 Singer 27K2 hand/treadle machine is setting, so she simply moved over to it and continued sewing with the treadle.

The 27K2 has its original foot on it (not a 1/4” foot), so she used a Post-it Note pad stuck to the bed as a seam guide.

The power was restored shortly after dark, and we had the oil lamps out, but hadn’t even gotten them lit yet, so she was able to go back to her regular routine on the 301A for the rest of the evening.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-22 18.55.30.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	468577   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-22 18.55.53.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	468578   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-22 19.20.31.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	468579  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by nana2 View Post
We've had several times in our lives that we have been without power for several days in a row in both summer and winter conditions. During winter time we cooked on fire place with cast iron Dutch ovens and broke out our camping coffee pot. We have some of those old oil lamps for light and later put in Franklin Fireplaces in living room and garage. (We always kept a supply of wood on hand) As long as we had running water we just kept on with live as it would have been in olden days and it reminded us how we grew up as kids. No radio, No TV. We actually sat around and talked or read by the oil lamp. I cannot tell you how many memories flooded our thoughts when we could hear those stove pipes popping as they heated up or cooled down. The only thing missing was the hooting of the old owl that use to come right up to our house at night. The quite in the neighborhood was really pleasant.

In the summer times when we have lost power for days and days, we just sat up a kitchen on our back patio. We cooked on our out door grill, heated water for clean up on the butane burner. We even laid out the water hose in the hot sun so we could have water to sponge bathe with. (Ice was brought in by the truck load and first thing every morning we made the "ice run") The part we missed most was the A/C. Just no way to be cool on the Texas Gulf Coast without it.

Each time we have found ourselves in such situations I wonder how in the world our grandparents made it. They even had to draw their water from a well, collect water in rain barrels, and bath in the creek during the summer.

All of my folks made their quilts and now I wonder how in the world they had time to do that.
they kept their hands busy all the time
Old 03-23-2014, 09:07 PM

Jean (nanna) I was working at JoAnn's when the power went out. My other employee that evening was a former bank employee and not a teen. She could not total customer's orders and compute the tax. I put her on the cutting table and ran the register myself. Cash was preferred, but if a customer really needed the fabric and trusted me with me her card numbers, I took them and hand entered the charge when the electricity came back on.

I guess I had better get a treadle operational before the Spring storms start.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by nana2 View Post
.. we have been without power...During winter time we cooked on fire place with cast iron Dutch ovens and broke out our camping coffee pot. We have some of those old oil lamps for light ... We actually sat around and talked or read by the oil lamp. In the summer times when we have lost power for days and days, we just sat up a kitchen on our back patio.
During winter power outages, especially when it’s an icestorm and we figure we’re going to be out for a good while, we move into the kitchen and start a big pot of home-made spaghetti sauce and a pot of spaghetti noodles on our gas range top. A handcrank sewing machine on the counter helps pass the time. Our main problem with winter outages is lighting. Even daytime seems dark when you’re trying to sew. We usually end up with more than one oil lamp lit. They add a little heat as well.

During summer power outages, we open up the house and play with a treadle or a handcrank. When the house gets too hot, we usually move out onto the patio where there’s plenty of light, but the flies and mosquitoes will drive you nuts. We usually don’t sew out there during that time. We’re too busy fighting flies and fanning ourselves.

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
...I guess I had better get a treadle operational before the Spring storms start.
It’s a good excuse to have a treadle (or 2, or 3) around to play with.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM

CD, I have a Redeye and a Leader (small machine made by National) and will have a White when I go after it. I will need to sell one - probably the Leader. Too bad she's such a cute little thing.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:47 PM

I guess this would be the place to ask this question. I have a treadle & accidentally acquired a hand-crank. I have not played with it because I can't figure out how to crank with one hand and do everything else with my left hand. I've always been too embarrassed to ask, but that hasn't gotten me any answers. Any help would be appreciated as we live out in the country & our power goes out with a strong wind, much less storms. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:13 PM

Star619- How about posting your dilemma in a new thread of it's own so helpful folks will see it? I have a hand crank but haven't cleaned it up and haven't used one- Sorry.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
During winter power outages, especially when it’s an icestorm and we figure we’re going to be out for a good while, we move into the kitchen and start a big pot of home-made spaghetti sauce and a pot of spaghetti noodles on our gas range top. A handcrank sewing machine on the counter helps pass the time. Our main problem with winter outages is lighting. Even daytime seems dark when you’re trying to sew. We usually end up with more than one oil lamp lit. They add a little heat as well.

CD in Oklahoma
That sounds cozy!!!! Can we all come and join you for spaghetti and sewing?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by star619 View Post
....acquired a hand-crank. I have not played with it because I can't figure out how to crank with one hand and do everything else with my left hand.....

Actually, using a handcrank machine helped me to eliminate a tendency that I had of trying to feed the fabric through the machine. I had developed a bad push-pull habit when I was learning how to use an electric machine. Now after using handcranks for a while, I’m better at just guiding the fabric with my left hand, and letting the machine do the feeding. I’ve had fewer problems now that I don’t interfere as much with the feed of the machine, regardless of which machine I use.

CD in Oklahoma