Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine >

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 AM

For all the people that complained about this book: how many of you watched her tutorials and how many of you bought from her store (online or the shop) If you don't like the book, don't ruin it for all the people who love the book.
Nobody is twisting your arm to continue with your subscription. I personally LOVE the Block and I love Jenny and her whole family. You all make me laugh, for what you pay for the book, how many of you spend $7.00 for a pack of cigarettes? I'm just saying.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM

For all the people that complained about this book: how many of you watched her tutorials and how many of you bought from her store (online or the shop) If you don't like the book, don't ruin it for all the people who love the book.
Nobody is twisting your arm to continue with your subscription. I personally LOVE the Block and I love Jenny and her whole family. You all make me laugh, for what you pay for the book, how many of you spend $7.00 for a pack of cigarettes? I'm just saying.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Sorry Mayc, I wont subscribe to Block Magazine, because of every thing that was said, today and in the past, I agree with Pewa88 and her opinion.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I didn't renew four quilt magazines this year. I like Block and will continue to get it.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 PM

"For all the people that complained about this book: how many of you watched her tutorials and how many of you bought from her store (online or the shop) If you don't like the book, don't ruin it for all the people who love the book....."

Oh no Scuddles, I am not complaining at all. You totally misunderstood my original post. In fact I haven't read a post from anyone that sounded like complaining.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 PM

I have ordered and received BLOCK #1 and #2, enjoyed both editions, and will continue my subscription.

Considering myself an experienced quilter, I like the variety of designs and have ordered some precuts from MSQC. The service is top rate and the postal service probably thinks I have stock in the firm. :-) Jenny Doan and her family put a good face to mid-western values and I like to support this business as so many other magazines/supply sources/ television programs are owned by a very small number of mega-corporations. Even if the current two magazines contain errors, I am willing to subscribe as I feel confident that there will be improvements as time goes on. I commend MSQC for their business initiatives and hard work.

My quilting friends will tell you that I put my own spin on designs to reflect my interests and create something more unique. Doing the math, cutting and assembling blocks in the manner I feel most appropriate, and using my stash are just a part of who I am. I won't change and the combo of tutorial and printed instructions are terrific for the quilter who is less confident. Way to go, Jenny and Family!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 PM

I didn't notice any advertising in the first issue, and haven't even had time to look at the second issue.

As it was sitting on the table next to me, I just picked up issue #1 and flipped through it. I still see no advertising. Yes, each pattern calls for whatever precut. But nowhere does it say "(precut) from MSQ." Many pattern designers/publishers who also sell tools list them as the one to be used. Fons and Porter also always call for their ruler when in reality, any brand ruler with those markings will work.

A newer quilter may believe that if a specific tool or ruler is listed, that is the only item that can be used. However, after quilting just a couple of things, I think most people will realize that it's just branding - and chances are that they have a tool that will do the job. You can get buy with the bare bones - one or two different rulers, or you can get different ones that are easier to use. A 6" x 24" ruler has scads of markings for angles and measurements, so you don't HAVE to get different sizes. But many, if not most, of us will have different sizes to make the job easier.

From Webster's: 1. a paid announcement, as of goods for sale, in newspapers or magazines, on radio or television, etc.

Is a cookbook that calls for ingredients is considered advertising? Or because the publisher doesn't also sell those ingredients, is that not considered advertising?

Either way - we all know that you will need materials to make things. Whether those materials are fabrics or flour, making something from nothing isn't going to happen. Personally, I rarely buy pre-cuts, unless I specifically want a little of each and every fabric in a given line. But the patterns that Jenny puts together are easily understood and the publishing is gorgeous.

Mistakes? The first issue had an unfortunate number of them and my guess is that, having realized that, Jenny and her team will be more careful of proofing and editing in the future. The Jo Morton Little Women's Quilt Club that is just wrapping up had 6 patterns that had errors in them - some acknowledged on her website, some not. For somebody who has been publishing patterns for years, that really surprised me.

If it said "Jellyroll purchased from MSQ" or there were a separate block of text on pages that announced that they sell precuts and tools, as you would see in most any magazine, to me, that would constitute advertising.

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 05-02-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 AM

I have both issues of the BLOCK and I love them. Beats going back to the computer and play back to get instructions.

Way to go Jenny
Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by junipergal View Post
Yes Trisha, I agree. The magazine is beautiful - I look at it and feel it and cry for all the trees that are gone because of it. The photography is wonderful, the instructions clear, it is great. I canceled my subscription….
I do believe that paper can be made from other sources.....I may be wrong......I know ink is made from soybeans.....if trees are the only source for paper......many things we should boycott!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:35 PM

OP - Would you please give an example of the advertising you saw? I just looked through both issues and saw no advertising whatsoever. The name of the fabric used is listed but that is not advertising.

I look at the magazine as a pattern book. Where else can you find 10 patterns for $5.95? Most patterns sell for $8.00 on up. Even if there is only one pattern in the book I want to make, that is still a bargain.

And as for trees destroyed -- why not subscribe to the digital version if that is really an issue?