Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure about this quilt >

Not sure about this quilt

Not sure about this quilt

Old 05-05-2014, 04:53 AM

OOPS!! the first part was a quote...accidentally erased quotations.

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
I am a new quilter and make larger lap sized quilts with Minkee backing and no batting. Mum's quilt may have a different back as it is planned as a beach blanket. Mum goes to the beach every day during the summer for a swim and suntan.

I am about to sandwich a quilt top I made with Minkee...as a fairly new quilter, now I wonder if I need batting after reading this. I plan to quilt it myself. Sorry to get off the post subject!! BTW, seniors do like colorful stuff, too!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 AM

I like it! I made a very bright and (I suppose) "childish" quilt for my DH's 80-something grandmother and she loves it! It has kitty-cat print fabric everywhere, several prints of which I got out of the kid's section at the store. I gave it to her 2 years ago and she still sends me messages about how much she loves it. *warm fuzzies*

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
I also have cats who share the bed with me and all bedding is washed weekly. I do not think a quilt can take that degree of washing.
Sure it can! I have 3 dogs and 2 cats who live on the couch with 2 of my lap quilts - the quilts get washed constantly (weekly, at least) and are still in great shape. I deliberately wash them regularly, as a stress-test for all of my quilts. Granted they're only a couple years old so far, but they both still look new when they come out of the dryer. Both have a lot of purple and black - their colors are still bright and deep (wooo, Kona!), seams are all intact, batting is still flat. One of the dogs likes to claw at the quilts to arrange them into a more comfy sleeping nest (which I yell at him for when I see it happen, but I know it happens when I'm not around) and still no damage to be found. Amazing. One of the quilts is even a bargello and not one single seam has popped. I actually expected to be doing repair work on these by now but so far...not a single extra stitch has been needed.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 AM

What I need to ask is if we have gotten so " thing" oriented that we can see nothing but the object? I have several things in my life that would not be close to my first pick, but the person who gifted them to me is important to me. When they visit there is their gift to welcome them. They know I love and value them and their attentions. When It catches my eye, the gift warms me: I was thought of to go to some trouble for, I am loved, and so on.

The quilt on my bed right this moment comes from a dear friend. She made it for me and gifted it to me with love and a quirky smile. She is my "other person." We are absolute opposites but we complement. The quilt is the last set of colors in this world i would ever choose. It is the prissiest thing you could ever see. She never said it, but I suspect she was gently pressing my highly geometric, tailored, unpastel world outward.

Can we no longer see beyond the thing to the person who gifted it and why they gifted it? Isn't that the most important thing?

P
Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 AM

I am 78 and I like it. My colors. Give it to your aunt she will like it because you made it for her.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by patsynel View Post
I am over 65 and I love the quilt. Your choice of colors and fabric are great.
Me too....I love it and I'm over 60.....it looks like it smells FRESH...and I wouldn't border it at all!!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 AM

I'm 63 and I love it! Bright, funky, fun!

However, if you're looking to tone it down some, I think I would separate the larger blocks with sashing. Probably white, and then do something fun in the border and binding. Maybe a white border, wide. And then make your own binding out of strips of all the fabrics, then cut it on the diagonal. A diagonal binding could continue the 'fun' aspect of the quilt.

Have fun! I'm sure she'll love it!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 AM

For me, borders are never about making something larger, because they always look like an afterthought.
Add a narrow border and then piece the outer border. W O W factor
Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 AM

If one would use sashings in between the blocks that would have changed the entire look of the quilt and made it bigger too. I am seeing Kona black 3 inch as to be 21/2 inch sashings, then a black border, maybe a scallop edge for a 6 inch border. And then the binding stripped with the same fabrics or more scraps. Think it would make it more grown up. I like all the colors in it, but needs black, one can never go wrong with black!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:15 AM

I'm over 60 and it's just my style. I LOVE bright colorful quilts! I think a white border would be work and then bind it with the fabrics in the quilt or do a white border and then a smaller colored border. Not all of us over 60's like sophisticated (LOL) remember were raised in the 60's!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 AM

I've been having a play around with different fabrics this afternoon to see if I can make myself like it a bit more!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]474609[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474610[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474611[/ATTACH]
I bought the purple and green to try and find a sashing fabric that went well but didn't like them much. I think they look better as borders but I still don't think they're right. I had a little bit of black lying around and actually quite like it, I think it's more of a frame than the others, I thought it needed something lighter to calm it down but I'm not so sure now. Haven't got any white in my stash at the moment so can't try that out yet!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1056.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	747.0 KB
ID:	474609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1058.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	997.1 KB
ID:	474610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1059.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	827.0 KB