Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Like a kid in a candy store! >

Like a kid in a candy store!

Like a kid in a candy store!

Old 03-21-2014, 11:18 PM

Nice job! I tried to clean today but still recovering from surgery. I will be glad when the healing is done.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:38 PM

I bit the bullet and ironed(if needed), & folded onto comic book boards any fabric between 1- 4yds. Any larger amounts (like backings) I folded and tied with any somewhat wide ribbon (more than 1/4"). I also measured each piece & wrote yardage on a square of index card IN PENCIL, punched a hole w/ hole puncher in top of board and tied it on with small ribbon. This way I can quickly see 1) if I have sufficient fabric 2) change the amount as I remove fabric (pencil, remember) and 3)NOT have to unroll & re-roll fabrics to start a project. It literally took me from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas Eve to finish & there were many 12-14 hr. days. Now, as I use up my fabric, I keep the board, erase the info. & store it to use for another project down the line. Well worth it, though I did take a break after Christmas!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 AM

I got some comic boards, thinking to do this. OOps! My storage cabinet shelves are too deep to make it practical. I have started doing mine on a 12" square ruler and they fit. I have to stack flat. Now I need to start sorting by type and color better. Now I have a stack of tote boxes to use for another purpose.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
I would like it if you would post the pattern. It looks like a variation of the basket made with a 10" square. I like doing the 10" sq basket, but would like a variation of it. Thanks.
So then sew some strips together to equal 10" x10" and make the box with your " new" fabric
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 AM

Question on these comic boards....they are about size of comic book? Since it has been a VERY long time since I have owned a comic book, what size is that.....the same as say a quilt mag? What is the thickness of the cardboard...is it like a poster board-the thicker ones. Thinking of doing something similar with smaller pieces of fab...I have large cuts on the cardboard frames from Joann's....then when some is used....there is where I need the downsized board.. Just thinking......
Old 05-04-2014, 11:32 AM

I just got my pack in the mail. I have a few dozen (stolen from kids comic books) not it is time to get serious!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Question on these comic boards....they are about size of comic book? Since it has been a VERY long time since I have owned a comic book, what size is that.....the same as say a quilt mag? What is the thickness of the cardboard...is it like a poster board-the thicker ones. Thinking of doing something similar with smaller pieces of fab...I have large cuts on the cardboard frames from Joann's....then when some is used....there is where I need the downsized board.. Just thinking......
The boards I used measure 7" by 10.5". They are a little stiffer than poster board I would think, but I wish they were even a little more stiff for larger pieces of fabric - but I just use two together in those cases.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:02 AM

My shelves are 15" deep so I buy "Current" comic book boards, which are a smidge narrower - 6.75" wide instead of 7". This gives me enough space, with fabric wrapped around the boards, that I can fit two rows deep if I need to. To keep the back row visible, I lay the front fabric on it's side in stacks about half-high instead of standing it up. Not a perfect solution, but it works for me!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:37 AM

The comic book boards come in different sizes. I have some really large ones that are actually in with magazine sized comic books. They also make some long and narrow sizes too. It's just a bit thicker than the poster board.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 AM

could you tell where you order the comic book boards? I would like some Thanks!