Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to remove blue marks >

how to remove blue marks

how to remove blue marks

Old 05-07-2014, 04:21 AM

Default how to remove blue marks

I have a whole cloth quilt that I used water soluble blue marker on and I have rinsed it with water and used the blue line eraser and it still won't budge, it is just a small spot but on a white wholecloth it sticks out.. Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:42 AM

I have not had any problems when I wash a quilt. Rinsing it just thins it out and does not necessarily get rid of it.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 AM
dd

My blue marks didn't come out at all. I bought a redwork panel printed in blue. Had to do the whole thing in blue embroidery.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:07 AM

I have a blue mark on a white fabric which has not been used yet only prewashed. Where did it come from?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:19 AM

Spraying Club Soda on some blue marks works to make them disappear. Won't hurt to try it.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Vinegar is supposed to remove that type of mark (even if it has been "permanently" set with heat). I would test it on some scrap fabric first, both with an unironed mark and an ironed mark. The mark that won't come out may have somehow become set by a heat source, although I can't think offhand what kind of heat source would hit just a small spot.

Edit: Nothing I know of works on pre-printed panels. Vinegar is supposed to work on the blue vanishing markers, though.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dd View Post
My blue marks didn't come out at all. I bought a redwork panel printed in blue. Had to do the whole thing in blue embroidery.
pre-printed embroidery panels / blocks are generally printed (permanent) so they do not fade away before you get them stitched- the (companies) assume your embroidery threads will cover the marks. a blue soluble marker is made to wash away. often they disappear when your quilt is laundered- if you have a problem with them I would contact the company (brand of marker) and ask them- they have the tips/hints/helps for their specific product. I have found over the years all 'blue water soluble markers' are not created equal.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:26 AM

I have had success using hand sanitizer to remove stubborn spots on clothing.....just a dab and rub in gently, then rinse in cold water. It is especially good on ink stains. Never had it discolor any fabric.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 PM

Thanks ladies, it is not a preprinted panel. I put the blue lines on with a water soluable blue pen.. I contacted the company that sold me the blue line eraser and he told me to use it full strenth on the spot instead of spritzing it.. I used a Q tip and dabbed it then let it dry, it took about 10 times but it finally came out... I do now remember reading on here at one time club soda worked on stubborn stains... The company thought that possible the fabric had come into contact with something that make the blue hard to remove.. I am now leery of using the blue marking pens.... This was a white whole cloth quilt for a wedding gift that a lady had commissioned me to make. I was sick, but all turned out well. Again thanks for all your help.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 AM

I was looking at thread the other day on the FilTec (glide thread) site and came across this:

http://www.bobbincentral.com/accesso...e-erasers.html

says it gets blue lines out forever. I have not used them much, but am planning to try them. Alot of the longarmers I chat with swear by them...I have been leery. Let us know if you try this and like it. I would be interested.