Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it me? >

Is it me?

Is it me?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 AM

I have found that choosing fabrics in a large shop becomes less overwhelming after you do it a few times. At first, it can be sensory overload. But even in a large shop, what usually happens to me is that I fall in love with a certain fabric but have no idea what the rest of the line looks like because things are arranged by what the person putting away the bolts thinks is the dominant color. That's when I end up online. I should learn to bring my ipad to the store in the first place.

I always work from one fabric, though. Usually it's something I bought yardage of because I loved it but stored it in the stash, awaiting an idea.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 AM

I have a hard time deciding on fabrics if it is a project I really don't want to start. If just blocked, I will go to my closet and pull out a favorite article of printed clothing and look at those color combos - often is will help unblock my clog!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 View Post
I spend forever trying to find fabric. Nothing jumps out at me. I spent an hour yesterday trying to pick 4 fabrics for a candle mat.

Is it me? or should I try a different quilt shop?

Maybe I should read up on choosing fabrics?
I learned in design classes that the human eye i drawn to odd numbered items, so I choose a conversation fabric, then pull blender and complementary fabrics from the original choice. I have plenty of UFOs to keep me busy when I am blocked about a project.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Crafts has a free class bom on color choices very good.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:09 PM

I mean Craftsy.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:28 PM

I don't really know how to this. But crafts has a free bom showing color theory.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Sometimes the amount of fabric to chose from can be overwhelming!
Try finding a picture of anything in which you like the colors, then use that for inspiration.
Or pick one color and go to "google images" to search for quilts in that color. The pictures will show many, many quilts using that color with others.
What good advice, Jan. It will be very helpful the next trip I take to my LQS. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go into the shop and see all that eye candy........so hard to make a decision.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:08 AM

I spend forever trying to find fabric. Nothing jumps out at me. I spent an hour yesterday trying to pick 4 fabrics for a candle mat.

I pick a busy print and pull my colors from that, it works every time. Makes a nice looking quilt. I keep having to add words because it keeps telling me my message is too short. grrr
Old 05-09-2014, 08:35 AM

Maybe you just like fondling fabrics, it's OK. When the right fabrics do come along they will jump out at you, but it doesn't happen every time you go shopping. So enjoy the process and fondle away!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

well, I kind of have your problem...everything jumps out at me and then it takes forever
to decide!!!