Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I finally found some courage and went to a local guild meeting >

I finally found some courage and went to a local guild meeting

I finally found some courage and went to a local guild meeting

Old 05-10-2014, 06:29 AM

A friendly quilt guild is so important. The one I belong to has ladies from 30's to 90's, and we have an absolute blast together. Am so thankful that when the work shifts & hours changed at work, I was able to keep my Thursdays off, so I can continue to attend my quilt guild meetings....those ladies are the highlight of my week.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:58 AM

I'm a joiner, but haven't yet worked up my courage to join a quilt guild. Maybe soon. I have a very busy life already, and am not sure that I want to add another "meeting to attend" to it. One of my friends in another club has invited me several times to go to guild with her, and they have a sewing/crafting day at the local free meeting hall which I have attended several times--just run out of time, so can't make up my mind to add something else.

And to the lady above who is remodeling/moving her sewing room, just keep at it, you'll get it done. I am doing the same thing right now, trying to locate a suitable place for the new embroidery machine that I recently bought at Paducah. I get one thing done on it, go and tackle a household chore then go back to rearranging, back and forth all day and even into the evening; plus I have about 6 quilts working/stewing in the back of my mind so am finding fabrics and materials for them as I putter from one place to the other. Plus keeping the laundry and ironing caught up; talking a GD into let's make her a new dress for a 4-H project; getting another quilt ready for the county fair; and getting my hair and nails done so I look nice for church on Sunday--and working on that is important as I am not the cute little thing that I once was.....

So, quilt guild may have to wait another few months.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 AM

Our local guild is small, but every time I have attended a meeting everyone is so friendly, I have really enjoyed meeting all of them. My health doesn't allow me to be real active with them, but whenI show up I am treated very kindly. I learn something new every time I attend. Wonderful, friendly country women. You will always be richer for knowing other quilters.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Sounds like you picked a goodie!
Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 AM

You give me courage to try and join a quilt guild - I have resisted the idea because I have heard and read so many horror stories but I need to see for myself.

Thank you for your posting!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I've been having a similar problem about going to a new guild meeting, so maybe I'll have to share some of your courage and attend. One problem is that it is at night, and I don't see as well as I used to at night, although it's a short distance away, I really have no excuse. Maybe this month when they meet. I had been invited to a guild meeting in NH by a neighbor and was met with a very friendly group of people, even though there were a few that were in a clique, the others were friendly and welcoming.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 AM

I went to a nearby guild and was overwhelmed!! 90 plus members and looking for more!!! I tried for a year but life got in the way and didn't go back. Don't miss it either. Too big, not exactly friendly and open. I need a smaller group
Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 PM

When I went to my guild for the first time I didn't know a soul and sat by myself the first few meetings. But I joined a small group that was going to make quilts for a local children's home, then I headed the Charity Quilt Committee for the next seven years. I made many friends that way and met one of my best quilt friends,she's 30 years older than me but that didn't matter we have been friends for 20 years and are still sewing together.

So my best advice is - get involved, volunteer, take classes, go on their bus trips, cultivate friends. Join a mini group. You will make friends for a lifetime. I did.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Just dive in an offer to help and you will be in and running. The guild I belong to has over 300 members and some are just there to enjoy the sight and sounds. Others really dig in and make the guild flow. Once they know you are willing to help and participate they will be more than glad to have you. They know that some just want to watch and that is ok as well. Enjoy it, you will meet lots of wonderful people. If you meet one bad apple, so be it, there's many more wonderful people.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Oh I am so glad it turned out good for you .. I was involved in one (once along time ago) and had a very bad experience. No one wanted to talk to me, I was not even introduced as a new guest, but I did return for several more meetings and found out others were treated the same. So a year later I went back new guild president etc.. and was greeted with women who had monies and flaunted it. I was criticized for my meeting of block corners, my technique in general in front of the whole guild. I was floored ... SO needless to say I have nothing nice to say to about Guilds.

But I am so glad you are happy with yours ! I hope that it keeps that way and you learn many new things !