Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7 - should I? >

EQ7 - should I?

EQ7 - should I?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:05 AM

I purchased EQ7 after using QuiltPro for many years. I L-O-V-E it!
altho retired now, my occupation did not involve computers. I almost died of fright when my boss said, "what we need is a computer!". I found EQ7 ways enough to understand. When I have problems I ask The Board and even emailed EQ7. Both have been helpful. Customer service is excellent.

Why EQ7? Because you are only limited by your own willingness to learn and ask questions. In the few months I have owned it I have designed my own quilts, made blocks, figured yardage, made paper piecing patterns automatically, and created hand appliqué templates. (I like to do a wide variety of things.)

There are layout choices, blocks galore to choose from, you can trace a photograph as well as automatically digitize a photo for making the picture into a quilt, anything can become a hand quilting template--the possibilities are endless. After having EQ7 I am very disappointed I didn't get it the first time around.

I suggest shopping around for price. AQS members save about 25%. Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

My sis in law develops software for the banking systems. She opened up EQ7 she used all the drawing tools and found shortcuts that I will never remember using the keyboard. She couldn't believe the low cost. She said it was an amazing program for the price.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:49 AM

I too think it's amazing how many quilters are/were also Technology professionals. I've been quilting longer than I've been doing IT - quilting for 30+ years, technology for 25+ years. It really is amazing that the two of them go together.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:58 AM

I am a newbie to EQ7 and haven't used it enough to become really familiar with it. I'm working on a sampler quilt and got the software about half way through the project -- primarily because I could scan MY fabrics into the fabric library and audition different colorings for blocks, sashings, borders etc. Even if the exact block I was working on was not in the EQ library, I could find one close enough so I could see what different fabric combinations looked like. I worked through the designing tutorials included with the software and did fine but it won't "click" until I work on my own stuff. I doubt that I'll ever make use of all of EQ7's features and it's easy to get buried in it.... but it's really amazing software.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:09 AM

I have EQ6 and the thing I don't like about it is that when you design a quilt I don't care what size you make the blocks when you go to the rotary cutting instructions it always gives you odd sizes to cut your fabric... like 2-7/8, 2-13/16 etc.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:31 AM

I have a tech background and find that EQ7 is not as intuitive as I would like, BUT I couldn't live without it now. AND I can do anything I want with it. If I can't figure out how, I email EQ support and they always help me very promptly. So over the years I've been able to do anything with the program. For example, my guild is making a quilt for an expectant mom, they said it should be a star, with pinks, and finished size 8 inches. All I had to do was find the star that I wanted (which didn't happen to be in the EQ library). I drew the block, and I could print out the rotary cutting directions (or templates or paper piecing template) so quickly, and make the block. I use it all the time.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:23 AM

I'm with Prism99! I started off with Quilt Pro I and have worked my way up the versions. Everyone always went on about EQ. I bought it tried it, even upgraded to 6 when it became available, and still found myself going back to Quilt Pro. It's just easier to use. To me EQ has file organization beat over QP, but that's about all. So, I have to open separate files for different quilt variations. I can open them and do just about anything with QP.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:11 PM

I have EQ7. I enjoy it but some things like drawing etc is hard & haven't figured it out yet after a couple of years. It is a good program because of all the block choices.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 PM

I have both EQ7 and Quilt Pro, both have their ups and downs. I love both programs for different reasons and use them both all the time. The one problem I have with EQ is the fabric yardage estimates always seem to be off (not enough) and that just bugs the heck out of me when I'm in a hurry so I have learned to double check the yardage in the Quilt Pro program before buying any fabric.

I know you are thinking, did I design the quilts twice, that answer is yes. Once in each program so I can use the one that works best for the project at hand. Guess I have more time on my hands then most but it's the only way I know for sure if I have it covered.

The best thing about EQ is the design features, they are so much easier for me to use instead of the ones in Quilt Pro. I can design curved blocks faster and with less trouble.

As many here have said, there are a lot of people that have lessons on the different features of EQ and that is itself is a plus for me. But you have to take the time to learn them. Walk through the lessons one at a time until you get it before moving on to the next lesson. Reading through the books won't get you there, you have to work them through each step as you read them. This has helped me more then once.

The only thing I really wish they would do is have it so you could export the blocks from one program to use with the other. Now that would be a great idea!!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 PM

So glad to see this thread--I've been thinking about investing in EQ7 also, but can't find the answer to what I'm really interested in--is it possible to scan in a picture of a finished top and then play with different quilting designs--both in EQ and also my own designs? If not, does anyone know of another program that would allow me to do that?? Thanks for your input. P.S. I'm looking to not just design a single block design, but be able to see how it would look both on single blocks and over a whole quilt.