Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Don't Forget the Lipstick When You Sew!! >

Don't Forget the Lipstick When You Sew!!

Don't Forget the Lipstick When You Sew!!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Advice from a Singer Sewing Manual - 1949

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do…. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.

Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing. When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on. If you are fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home, and you will not look neatly put together , you will not enjoy your sewing."
what a hoot! It made my day!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by neece View Post
Please, what is French chalk As I sit here in my jammies, barefeet and NO LIPSTICK
I had to look it up! The free dictionary says "Chalk made of a soft white variety of talc, used by tailors for marking fabrics and by dry cleaners for removing grease spots" In other words, I'd guess it's just powder to keep the oily-ness off of our hands from getting onto the fabrics.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Isn't it great to know we have been so liberated that these things seem funny to us? There was a time when that advice was important
Old 05-16-2014, 08:33 AM

I guess the sweatpants and t-shirt aren't acceptable attire!!! LOL with fuzzy warm slippers. Glad my hubby still likes me though!!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Don't forget you're airings and heels and keep you hat and gloves nearby
Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 PM

Lol. My husband hates it when I wear makeup, especially lipstick. He'll refuse to kiss me if I'm wearing it. I suppose that's one way to keep him from getting frisky while I'm in the middle of a project.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:31 AM

This was also posted last week under "You HAVE to read this". However, that post and my reply disappeared.
Thanks for the info on french chalk, I've always wondered what that is.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:43 AM

I'm not fearful of a vister dropping in. If I don't expect you, I don't go to the door.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:15 AM

If my husband came home and I was all dolled up, he would think he was in the wrong house. LOL And, I am "mentally" prepared when sewing in my PJs. After 50 yeard of married life, we're OK as long as we are with each other.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:38 AM

I have been caught many times when I'm a mess. Once by my new neighbors. Their first impression of me was with dirty hair, no bra, and coffee stains on my pjs. It was 2 in the afternoon and I had been quilting since 7AM. They may have something there. At least a shower before I sew.