Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Researching types of air conditioning systems - what do you have? >

Researching types of air conditioning systems - what do you have?

Researching types of air conditioning systems - what do you have?

Old 05-11-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have a heat pump and love it! I spend $116 per month for heat and A/C to heat and cool a 1513 sq. ft. 3 bedroom home. This is my test of a good system. "What is it going to cost me monthly?" I keep my home at 68 degrees all year long, so you may have to adjust for your own comfort. No hot spots or cold spots either. I will say that switching to Florescent lighting made a one third drop in my energy consumption.
I also have a heat pump and love it. I also conserve as much as possible. I set the ac at 74 and the heat at 68, my bill is not bad and we are comfortable.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:57 PM

At my house we close the blinds when the sun starts shining in and open the windows when it gets hot. We use some floor fans to move the air. Kind of low tech but it works for us.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 PM

You don't say where you live , but it makes a difference as to what system may be best for your. I had a heat pump in one of the homes I owned.... it was fine until very cold weather then it got more expensive than other systems. to heat. Heat pumps have a temperature range that they work effieceintly and are cost effective.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:30 AM

I'm in northern NY. My husband hates the humidity in summer and our summers here are getting hotter longer.

We have hot water baseboard heat so we cannot add A/C to it like a forced air furnace. We are exploring other options like mini splits and the high velocity sytems, SpacePak and Unico.

Deb
Old 05-12-2014, 06:30 AM

Before making any decisions regarding air conditioning, we spent months and months....and months doing research. I even consulted for months with a group of environmental PHd scientist/engineers. Their recommendation was Daikin inverter split system. It was the highest rated SEER 19.6, efficient, SUPER quiet system they recommended. It is a ducted system because I didn't want units hanging on the wall. We had metal ductwork installed and had it insulated. Our ceilings in the great room are 20 ft. tall with no attic above, so we had the the grills in there installed high up on the side walls, which works great. In the master bedroom, we had the cassette type installed in the ceiling. It has little louver/fins on it that you can set to move up and down to distribute air flow. It has a separate thermostat from the other, so we can run it or turn it off. The thermostats in the great room and rest of the house are by remote control, but if we wanted we could have an in-wall type thermostat as well. We are extremely impressed with this system. You cannot hear it running at all. If you want more info, I can send it to you.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:49 AM

We've hadn't heard of that company. I'll have my husband research it - thanks.

Many people have told us high velocity/small duct A/C is noisy but it can't be as noisy as window air conditioners. We are replacing all our windows and we don't want the units that fit in the window and screw to the sashes.

Debbie
Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 AM

I have window units in every room except the bathrooms. It works fine for my 50 year old house.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Get the advice of a local professional.

i am only aware of central air.
Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 05-12-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:33 PM

We have the best air conditioning ever. It is called fog. We sit on the edge of San Francisco Bay. Our average temp are in the 60's and 70's. We might get a warm day a couple times a year. We wait a couple of days and the fog rolls in.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Get the advice of a local professional.

i am only aware of central air.
Sandy
We have 3 professionals working on quotes for us and of course the product each of them sells is the "best" on the market.

My question was directed at someone who already lives with one of the high velocity systems. I was asking for personal experience - pros and cons.