Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 AM

Quilter65: I thought I was the only one that had the "bigger the better" syndrome. I always shop my stash when I'm putting together a quilt so I usually have enough fabric for a large quilt plus I use the "leftovers" to piece the back. I figure that even if it is going to be used to snuggle on the couch, bigger works better. A single bed size has to be requested, since I'm pretty much locked into the over 92 X 92 size. I do my own quilting on my Brother 1500, so that's not a problem.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:44 AM

I do the same thing here Emma. I have started out thinking I'm going to make a smaller quilt but they always seem to grow. I really need to quit piecing for awhile and put some blank pieces on my longarm and practice some new designs but everytime I do it I always think it's a waste of time. Don't really want to practice on a "real" quilt though!! Needless to say there isn't much practice going on.
June 1 there will be more rounds posted for all of you that you might be able to use. I'll think of something...
Old 05-07-2014, 05:20 AM

Emma and Jaba, I keep trying to break myself of the bigger is better (and needless to say, cheaper) syndrome, but I am kind of tall. All my life, I have hung over the standard couch or bed, my wrists have stuck out of the sleeves of "regular" blouses, my ankles have shown when wearing jeans, so I AM going to have quilts that cover both ends of me if I want them to. I was so thankful when someone started breaking it into short, medium, and tall, I can buy things that fit. Yeah! The last one I took to the LAQer was 94 x 104 or thereabouts.

Jaba, you are so busy that I am not sure when you would practice, but I guess it takes that to maintain growth. I think having a longarm would be so great, but not sure about the work to load, etc. My back doesn't like some things any more. I really would like to finish one that I have started. Maybe someday,,,, Have the machine back as of last evening and will get to work soon. Have a wedding present to finish (shoot, start) before June 1. So it may have to wait until that is done. Cut out three more projects while waiting for the machine, and the garden isn't planted..
Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 AM

Quilter65: Glad to hear that your machine came back healthy and you can start sewing again. Alas, I am short, 5'3" and shrinking but even with my height I have experienced that feet won't stay covered nor wrists. I stick with the theory that having extra in much pleasanter.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:42 AM

Emma, your not short! Your feet reach the ground don't they!!! I'm the same height as you & still taller than many around me, including lots of men, so don't SHORT your self.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:54 AM

I know exactly about the back issues, I usually load the quilt one day and start actually quilting it in the next day or two. I'm 5'4" so it does take a little stretching over the bars to get the backing loaded, that's the worst part. My "big" quilts are because of my son's....both over 6', all I hear is longer Mom. Hubby isn't very tall at 5'10 1/2" but he likes them longer too so what's a woman to do?
Hope your machine is back to normal when you test it out.
The ground is white here this morning, mother nature just had to show that she's the boss. A little chilly for the next day or two, guess I'll just stay n the house and sew. I guess that will be a benefit of it all. Have a great day everyone!!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 AM

How far away did you move Brat ? Jaba I hope that you had a great birthday especially " out to dinner with your parents ". It is inspiring to see all the quilts being made. I have received many ideas to try that I do not know which one to do next...This is fun and keeps me motivated. Thanks,omacookie
Old 05-13-2014, 01:02 PM

Got April's finished but mine is now 53 1/2" square. Jaba, should I add a narrow border around all sides to get it to a better number? I was thing of doing the flying geese border next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	475462  
Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 PM

Jill and Mimi, lovely quilts!

I'm going to get to the May Border sooner or later, it's been one of those months! lol
Old 05-13-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
Got April's finished but mine is now 53 1/2" square. Jaba, should I add a narrow border around all sides to get it to a better number? I was thing of doing the flying geese border next.
If you make it 54 1/2" that would fit perfect for a 6" finished round. Were you going to do a 6" round next or you could even do a 3" if you want it smaller. Just remember your numbers 6 into 54= 9. That would be nine on 2 sides and 11 on the other 2......3" (3 1/2 unfinished) would be 18 of something on 2 sides and 22 on the other 2. Please let me know if I'm confusing you...by the way..your quilt is lookin' mighty fine!!