Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
If you make it 54 1/2" that would fit perfect for a 6" finished round. Were you going to do a 6" round next or you could even do a 3" if you want it smaller. Just remember your numbers 6 into 54= 9. That would be nine on 2 sides and 11 on the other 2......3" (3 1/2 unfinished) would be 18 of something on 2 sides and 22 on the other 2. Please let me know if I'm confusing you...by the way..your quilt is lookin' mighty fine!!
Okay, so if I sew a 1 1/4" band around will that put me right? Then I can do the flying geese of which I'd need 9 on 2 sides & 11 on the other 2.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:11 PM

No mimi- only half that much all the way around. Remember you are sewing ALL around your quilt so you need to divide what you need by half. You said your quilt measures 53 1/2" right? then you need an inch to make it 54 1/2". You really only need a very thin border of 1/2" on each side plus your seam allowance, they are always such a pain in the you know what, but you have to consider that little devil 1/4" seam. You really need a strip of 3/4" all the way around. What I do is add on a 1" and then measure carefully to 54 1/2"...cut off the extra little bit if there is any, that is if I was off just a little bit somewhere, I can square up the quilt before I add the next border and it won't be easy to notice if that wee border is a little wider here and there. Does that make sense? Just remember on any border...if you need say 2" more to make it what you want....that really means 1" because you are adding to "each" side of the quilt plus add that seam allowance.

Last edited by jaba; 05-13-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 AM

Thank you so much jaba! See I would have been wonky again. For some reason I had cut lots of extra strips of the teal so I think I cut a few down & follow your directions.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
Thank you so much jaba! See I would have been wonky again. For some reason I had cut lots of extra strips of the teal so I think I cut a few down & follow your directions.
That was a great tip jaba gave about sewing on a strip and then trimming down to the exact size you need. I learned that lesson the hard way on one of my rounds.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 AM

You're welcome mimi, glad you asked. I've done the same thing Pam and decided it was just easier to add a little extra right at the start to make sure it's right. Don't think I'm going to miss a 1/4" or so of fabric and I end up with the right size every time. Haven't come up with borders yet, but I haven't really looked at the quilt's yet either. Better get into gear and get it done.
Beautiful day in sunny Wyoming today, knock on wood for good luck....no snow or rain. Have a terrific one ladies!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 AM

So glad to see pictures and talk here again. Have been checking. How much snow did you all get in Wyoming? Thought about you all when the weatherman was announcing the snowfall in Denver and parts higher. It was 85 here a day or two ago and 44 this morning. My poor petunias probably wish they were back in the greenhouse. My machine has been purring right along since retrieval. Had to adjust the tension this morning, but at least it goes when I press the foot. Bought another back-up off ebay. Hope I am not disappointed. Even 45-50 year old machines (Elna) bring a bit. Mine has been over the road. About 2/3 done on the piecing for the wedding tree skirt. Tedious, but getting there. Eleven strips of much of the same fabric used in my quilt per stripset and need 7 of them to get the 10 degree wedges that are cut at 45 degrees. Called blazing finger pattern and produces a real saw-toothed design. Hope they like it. Then finish a mini-quilt. And THEN back to this project. Think this round will do it for me, but it may grow another round come June. Good to see the pictures and hear some chatter.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:51 PM

Only got about 6" total, but it got pretty cold. Nice weather we are having now and finally been able to start planting the garden ( guess what I've been doing today ) now for all the weeds, etc. in the flower beds. Hope it didn't ruin any fruit from growing off the apple, cherry and apricot trees. Then were in full bloom so just won't know for while. Glad you got a back-up machine, they sure can come in handy sometimes. Would love to see your tree skirt when you get it pieced together.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 PM

Here is the Christmas Tree Skirt I have been working on made with several of the same fabrics as the quilt.[ATTACH=CONFIG]475651[/ATTACH]
I made a mistake and used one wrong fabric in five of the "spokes". I didn't even notice it as I was doing it and wasn't until I had to cut more that I realized what I had done. By this time, it was already sewn in and down. I have to look for it, but does it jump out to anyone? I COULD rip it out and replace those five pieces, but I really, really don't want to. Just sick I didn't see it quicker as I wanted this to be really special. The LAer is working me in so this can get out of here by June 1. I am currently working on the reverse of these stripes as I fixed those as they weren't sewn in. Going to then decide which I like better. I guess I could claim Amish license, that there is a mistake so I couldn't be considered perfect!! Doggone!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4054 (Small).JPG
Views:	196
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	475651  
Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 PM

I had to look really hard to see it, but it may stand out more with it right it front of you. Only thing I can tell you is...you said you wanted it to be really special, if it bothers you now it will always bother you. Your decision for sure, leave it or rip and make the "really" special one you want. Whichever way you decide, it looks really nice.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:09 PM

Quilter65: Really a beautiful tree skirt. I agree with Jaba, if its something you are going to see every time you look at it than correcting it might be worth your time. I think when it is around the tree it will be impossible to see since it doesn't really break up the "swirl".