Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question On Making Quilts As Gifts >

Question On Making Quilts As Gifts

Question On Making Quilts As Gifts

Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Oh, and i'm in love with your second quilt
Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 AM

You could make the same pattern for both of them and just use different colors - you'd be amazed at how different the finished products will look just with a color change, and this way you can sew them assembly line style and get them done a lot quicker! It gets tedious but when they go together it's really cool.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I am biased because I like the first pattern much more than the second. I would use the first pattern and just vary the fabrics.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 AM

If it were me, I would do different quilts for each one. That way it's more personable!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!!! I've got fabrics picked out for each, now just to figure out which pattern to do for whom. :-) Planning on placing my order tonight for the materials, so hopefully I can get started on them soon!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:59 PM

I really like the first pattern best. If it were me I would use that pattern but vary the fabrics to the tastes of each one. Both quilts would look very different. That pattern would make a beautiful quilt with white sashing around neutral triangles, and it would also be great with bright colors. Using the same pattern might save you a tad bit of time too--the second or third quilts I make from the same pattern usually go faster for me.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:30 PM

Just be aware, as simple as the first pattern is, it has lots of biased edges and might prove a difficult pattern. You could make four blocks with scraps first to be sure you can get it flat.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:15 AM

I have two DDs and one DIL....when I make something I usually try to make it along the same line but different colors...then I wrap them w/o name tags and let them choose....whichever they pick I tell them if they don't like it they shouldn't have picked it!!! (if they don't like it they'll usually swap!...but it's fun) I really like the top one though! Hope you get even more better!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
Just be aware, as simple as the first pattern is, it has lots of biased edges and might prove a difficult pattern. You could make four blocks with scraps first to be sure you can get it flat.
I guess I didn't think of that!!! I have some scrap material that I will try first before attempting a full quilt with it! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:12 AM

I woud do different patterns but you could use the same fabrics in the two quilts or the same colorway. Or you could just do scrappy quilts with the same pattern.