Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to fit 70+ machines in the house >

How to fit 70+ machines in the house

How to fit 70+ machines in the house

Old 05-16-2014, 12:13 PM

I love the way you have the machines displayed. I am thinking that I need to start doing the shelf bit or at least the iron pipes in front of a window that won't open.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:54 PM

I just figured out that I can fit another shelf behind the door - room for five more machines - which is good since I just got two more (three if I count the one from the farm that I've not brought home yet).
Old 05-16-2014, 02:09 PM

Awesome Macybaby, loved seeing all the rooms and all your machines! Nobody in my family knows exactly how many I have lol but my quilt friends do, 26 and counting.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:44 AM

I feel better now about my family teasing me over the 11 machines I have...
And I admire your great organizational skills!
K
Old 05-17-2014, 05:27 AM

I've been playing "shift the sh . . stuff" around again - and managed to open up the display shelves between my Singer machines. Now to decide what Singer stuff to put there - and I've got a lot to choose from!

Hmmm - I bet if I move the shelves a bit, I can fit the two FW on the bottom, and that frees up two more display shelves for larger machines.

I'm still trying to get things arranged upstairs so I can find places for all my non-Singer accessories.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:29 AM

got the shelves filled. It's one thing to have 70+ machines, but I've also got attachments to go with almost all of them - with extras. I still haven't got all the non- Singer ones gone through.

Yup - the FW's fit on the bottom.

This has an example of each of the Singer buttonholers I have - some are basically the same with different boxes. I have a lot of non-Singer buttonholers too. I've got the extra 4 buttonhole cams plus the eyelet cam.

My Singer zig-zaggers - two very early side mount ones, and then the first style of back mount ones. The upper row is the back mount with the shell, and the blind hemmer - with a hemstitcher in back (I've got a set with each of the five plate covers). Down in front is the zigzagger with the stitch cams, I've got the four extra sets of cams too.

I'd like to make a type of shadow box display for the smaller attachments at some point. I'm still looking for the penguin foot - right now I'm saving up for one.

Now it's time to go back upstairs and see if I can find room for all the other attachments.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:40 AM

Why do you need so many? You can only use one at a time. I have two and treasure both of them. I really only use them when I need a portable. No wonder they are so expensive and the supply is limited. There are quilters out there who would love to be the owner of just one. You would have more house space too. Sorry if I hurt feelings, but that is how i feel---don't be a hoarder!
Old 05-17-2014, 03:03 PM

AnnEliz, you don't hurt my feelings - you make me scratch my head and try to figure out just what machines you think I have that quilters are interested in . . . the majority of what I have were for sale for quite a while before I picked them up - and the sellers were so very glad that someone was finally willing to pay the $50 - $100 for it. I've paid more for a specific few, including my two featherweights, but the demand from the quilters have really caused them to go for high prices! So I sure didn't make those prices go up, that happened way before I got in the market two years ago.

I'm not a hoarder by any stretch of the imagination - other than a few (mostly bought by DH) the ones I bought were researched and selected models specific to the collection I've been putting together. I pass on so very many machines, if someone else wants one, I've sure not caused any shortage in my neck of the woods. At this point, I only have a few sewing machines I'm looking for, and I'd have to find one pretty special to temp me if it's not one on my list. I don't even bother going to Goodwill or Thrift Stores any more, they may have some good deals - but not what I'm looking for.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 AM

the machines that we 'collectors' buy are not what everyone else would buy as they have to be cleaned up, tinkered with, and made to sew once again. Not everyone wants to do that. They would only want them AFTER we have done all that. We are in fact saving most of these machines from being tossed!!! So no one should be made to feel they are doing wrong in 'saving them'!!!! Hoarder, Collector or Saver???
Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 AM

Macybaby--I'm so glad you aren't offended by what I said. I can see that you are really addicted to your babies. Anyway, in my area, 221's and 222's are in such great demand and nobody can find them anywhere. Every quilter wants one to take to classes etc. Whenever I see someone with an abundance on here, I think: "why not share." They are also very expensive--from $300 to $2,000 (some are collector's models). I paid over $300 each for my two and that was way too much when they were originally $65. Anyway, we need them in eastern Pennsylvania. One of mine was purchased from an original owner and is a very early 1942 model. I love her and since I knew her owner, I love her even more. I try not to use her hard because she is so delicate and in prestine condition. I have a very good repair person and am so fortunate about that. Many things I can do myself--they were made to be repaired by the owner and books and lots of parts are available, too. I would love to have a walking foot attachment, but they go for $500 if you're lucky. Too much for me. Enjoy your stash!!! I hope you use each and every one of them.