Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charms, jelly rolls, or layer cakes? >

charms, jelly rolls, or layer cakes?

charms, jelly rolls, or layer cakes?

Old 05-16-2014, 01:42 PM

Default charms, jelly rolls, or layer cakes?

There sure is a lot of choices...what is your preference? do you buy these for convenience? color? size? other? thanks in advance...
Old 05-16-2014, 01:49 PM

I bought a few charm packs when I first started quilting because the easier free patterns seemed to use them, I was very unsure about selecting fabrics and I did not have a stash to "fill in" with fabrics to make a quilt. But very soon I found I loved browsing and selecting fabrics and the modern style quilt patterns that caught my eye were no longer pre-cut friendly so I never buy them now.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:53 PM

Depends on what patterns I have in mind. I have bought all, plus turnovers (triangles), but mostly jelly rolls. I don't buy them often, just if I want more variety of colors or find a great sale. It is usually more economical to cut my own. Don't count on them all to be perfect size...seems no matter which brand, some can be off a bit. Also, keep the quantity in mind when figuring the price. Some brands have smaller quantities in each pack. For example, Moda are usually 40-42, Riley Blake can be half that amount.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:35 PM

I've only bought jelly rolls, from Connecting Threads who charges the same price as if it were yardage. It was to get the variety in the pack. And then I bought 2 or 3 of the same one. They were for a specific type of quilt. But I really like looking at yardage. I usually buy at least 1/2 yard of each fabric, more if it's a lighter color or color tht I use a lot. Plus, cutting 2.5" strips isn't that difficult.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
There sure is a lot of choices...what is your preference? do you buy these for convenience? color? size? other? thanks in advance...
All of the above. And sometimes just because.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 PM

I'm really into fat eighths right now, mainly because I'm doing alot of hexi and tumbler quilts. I'm also a big sucker for a charm pack too.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 PM

I buy all of them because there are so many easy patterns available and I get a whole range of colors in each pack.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sleepydiver View Post
I'm really into fat eighths right now, mainly because I'm doing alot of hexi and tumbler quilts. I'm also a big sucker for a charm pack too.
I am too into fat eights. Gives more variety in uses with patterns.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:51 AM

Depends on the pattern. I wanted to make a pattern using 2 1/2" strips of 40 fabrics. Just the thought of choosing 40 different fabrics gave me a headache. I bought a 2 1/2" strip pack from Keepsake and was delighted with all the different fabric/colors in it. I probably never would have found or choosen the fabric let alone asked the clerk to cut 1/8 yd. Each different package cut has its own use. Just beware to check to see how many pieces are in the package. also be mindful that "jelly rolls" may contain 40 different but charm packs may only have 5-6 different patterns with the pattern being in different colors (as I found out when I bought a charm pack).
Old 05-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
I buy all of them because there are so many easy patterns available and I get a whole range of colors in each pack.
This is my reason, also. Also, I'm not very accurate when I use the Rotary.