Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinions on Ott Lites please.. >

opinions on Ott Lites please..

opinions on Ott Lites please..

Old 05-19-2014, 05:14 AM

I also own two Ott lights and can not imagine trying to sew or craft without them. Started out with a small portable table light and have advanced to a floor lamp for sewing The bulbs last forever and have not had to change mine yet. I bought my floor lamp from JoAnn's before Christmas when they were half price an offered free shipping. Couldn't pass up a deal like that!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:21 AM

I have one on my cutting table, but I usually only switch it on when I want to do "natural light" color comparisons between fabrics, or between fabric & thread.

My favorite light comes from Reveal brand incandescent bulbs. I know...incandescent bulbs are on their way out, but until they're gone, I have Reveal bulbs in all my lamps and love them.

I have some LED lamps too and those are probably my 2nd favorite for good bright task lighting.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:27 AM

I have two, a tabletop model w/ a heavy base and a floor model. At the time I bought the tabletop, there weren't other full spectrum options available out there. The one thing I love about mine is that it has a very long neck which is very repositionable. All the other full spectrum lamps I've seen, don't have that long neck. This makes it so easy to see when I'm working at my cutting table, standing up or at my sewing machine, even at night. My floor model I have sitting on a box ( to make it tall enough) and it lights up my ironing board. This one doesn't have as long a bulb as my tabletop model, but still works great. I've had the tabletop one for over ten years and I'm still on the original bulb. Sometimes that lamp is on for 6 or more hours a day. I highly recommend them and suggest you get one at JoAnn's with a coupon. You can save a lot then.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 AM

I did buy special corkscrew Ott lightbulb for a regular lamp. I thought it would be better light for reading, not so. It wasn't bright enough. I returned it.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 AM

I bought an Ott lite look alike table lamp at Big Lots for $10 (on sale). The light it puts out is similar but the neck is shorter. I struggle with that part and have to reposition it in order to see at night.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:04 AM

I like mine - I have several in my sewing room - two non adjustable which I got a JoAnn's deeply discounted - the toggle switch does not work, so I have to turn them on and off using the power strip. I got one when I was scrapbooking that is portable and allows me to position the bulb (probably from AC Moore with a coupon). I also got one from Home Depot for a great price - it is a floor model with a flexible neck.

That said, I would LOVE to get a Stella light (http://www.debkarasik.com/store.php?cat=8). But they are ridiculously expensive. When I was at a Deb Karasik workshop a few weeks ago, she demonstrated the Stella features and I do like them a lot.

I am fortunate that if sewing during the day I have natural light to work with through the windows - so have less eye strain issues than I would if using artificial light 100% of the time (like at my office). That is a complaint I've heard from some Ott Lite users.

Cheers, K
Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 AM

I have several Ott lights and do like them. I bought mine at JoAnns on sale because they are expensive otherwise. I also have a Daylight lamp that I also like. If you watch for sales you can purchase these quite reasonably.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:03 AM

My Ott light frustrations are three: Joann's has lots of lights but few, if any, bulbs. Ott light keeps changing the style of the plug-in for the bulbs. The bulbs are so fragile I tend to break a bulb rather than getting it installed properly--very risky.

That said, I have a number of Ott lights and enjoy their lighting. You can buy full-spectrum bulbs, or other brand lamps, but Ott light seems to have the best intensity and usefulness.

Puzzler
Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 AM

I also have several and find them better than anything else I've used. Before I had cataract surgery I needed all the light I could get, but now with my "new eyes" I don't need as much. We bought a table lamp and a standing lamp for the price of one at a JoAnn's sale. By all means, wait for a sale and check JoAnn's often to get the best price. We also have two of the little folding ones, one for hubby's model railroad stuff and one for my sewing machine.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM

I have two of the floor lamps and one of the folding task lights. I really like them, had them for years. Where I sew the lighting isn't where I need it to be, so the floor lamp solved that problem. The light is bright and not yellow, much less eye strain. I can't sew on dark fabrics especially at night without one.
I added a picture so you can see how my floor lamp is placed where I sew.
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	peg board and Bernina 930 001.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	476077  

Last edited by purplefiend; 05-19-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added text and photo.