Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting On A Home Machine >

Quilting On A Home Machine

Quilting On A Home Machine

Old 05-21-2014, 05:36 AM

I do all of my quilting with my home machines, a Bernina 930 and1031 and a Pfaff 1222E They have a 7", 6.5",8" throat space. I don't roll up the quilt, its too bulky that way; accordion pleat it instead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pics for elaine and joe 002.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	476302   Click image for larger version

Name:	pics for elaine and joe 003.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	476303  
Old 05-21-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by knitwitrosie View Post
I know this has probably been asked a ZILLION times, but what's the largest you've quilted on a home, non-quilting machine?

The reason why I ask is I really want to make quilts for my Aunts for Christmas, however paying someone to do the quilting for me is a bit out of the question as it will severely put me over budget. Originally, my sister's MIL offered to do any quilting of mine for cheap/free when she first got her long-arm machine. Things have changed for whatever reason and now the cost to have two lap quilts done is way out of my budget.

The quilts are approx 60" x 76" each, and I'm probably going to just do SITD since I don't have a FMQ foot for my machine. I've got a Janome Sewist 525s as my primary sewing machine, but I do also have a Brother PC-6500 Embroidery/Sewing Combo Unit that has a slightly larger throat (but not by much) but I don't have a walking foot for that one.

I guess I'm just looking to see if ya'll think it's possible for me to quilt these suckers on my own without having to send it out to be done.
I've done king size but not as a beginner. Why not try a few quilt as you go as you will manage things a bit more easily? All the best - keep practicing.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 AM

I've done 3 quilts that were king size - 120 x 120 - I don't even give it a 2nd thought anymore. Each one seems easier the more I do.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 AM

I quilted a Queen size for my son, using my Bernina 1230, also a double one for my mom, using the same machine. Not easy, but quite do-able. I had to put the machine on the end of a dining room table, so the table could take the drag off things, and then I stippled areas in various sizes. Best to treat it in quarters, and start from the center and move out over each quadrant. Rolling and smushing it under the head of the machine best as you can. Once the center is done, things ease up and are more manageable. Biggest issue, once the weight of the quilt was managed, was the small size bobbin that home machines have. Lotta refills, so fill a whole bunch of bobbins ahead of time, get some good lighting, a good supportive chair, and don't forget to get up and move every 15 minutes or so, and to change your focal length by looking at mid/far away things to give your eyes a break. Eye headaches are the worst!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:31 AM

Lap sized quilts are no problem to quilt on a DSM. I've done king sized quilts on my DSM. Both patterns that you've chosen would be great for SITD. I'd follow the diagonal lines in the one, and the sashing lines in the other. Beautiful qulits!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 AM

I have a 6 1/2" throat on my DSM and have done up to an 80" x 80" using a cross hatch pattern (diagonal lines from corner to corner in both directions. I used the widest blue painters tape (approx 1 3/4") and also pinned it down the middle, then stitched down both sides. If you use temporary spray adhesive or Elmer's school glue to adhere the front, batt, and backing it will not wrinkle on the back. I just finished two twin size, 66 x 101, doing stitch in the ditch, AND FMQing in the blocks. It was very doable. I did the stitching in the ditch first to stabilize the entire quilt, then FMQed the blocks around the middle section so the majority of the quilt was laying to the left. Then I attempted the center (thinking I may have to do another design) but it wasn't bad at all. Just binding them now. Good luck. The cross hatching and SITD definitely have to be done with a walking foot !
Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 AM

I have done free motion quilting on 3 king size quilts. A real chore, but you just take your time and start in the middle and work around. I have a Juki TL98Q. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I do all of my quilting with my home machines, a Bernina 930 and1031 and a Pfaff 1222E They have a 7", 6.5",8" throat space. I don't roll up the quilt, its too bulky that way; accordion pleat it instead.
I've done as large a queen size on my home machines. It wasn't easy but doable.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM

I have found SID is not easy. I prefer echo stitching along both sides the ditch at about 1/4 inch. If hubby is willing to look at (new) used machines for you, would he be willing to go with a walking foot? Less expensive and it does male a difference in the quilting.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 AM

please get yourself a walking foot. it will save you so much time, accuracy and craziness! Also, I saw a great tip for 'working' the quilt thru the foot. Instead of the gloves, I use a small piece of rubber shelf liner. On a class, the quilt instructor used it. It is great because you just sit your hand on it and it grips very well. A lot quicker than putting on and taking off gloves all day.