Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bionic Gear Bag - Anyone Else Making It? >

Bionic Gear Bag - Anyone Else Making It?

Bionic Gear Bag - Anyone Else Making It?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 AM
Banned

Just a thank you to everyone that has said such nice things. I appreciate you!

I do have a question for some of you - I had one person ask me about using PUL fabric (some waterproofy-like stuff used for diaper covers, I was told) for the exterior.

I've never felt the stuff... so if any of you know about it... I'd appreciate hearing how thick it is, etc. Would it crease nice for the exterior pleats? Is the stuff ironable?

If it is not any thicker than a light-medium weight denim, I think it would work for the side and exterior parts... but not knowing how thick it is, I think it might have the same problems I had when I took a shot at laminating the entire exterior - including the bindings. That didn't work out so well. At least not as well as I like things to be, that is.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 AM

PUL is used to make things waterproof. It is very slippery. It is fairly thin. I found this on a diaper making supply website: http://www.diapersewingsupplies.com/washing-pul/
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM

C. Power your purple bag is so cute!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 PM

I posted once, but don't see it, Ripstitcher, Thanks so much for posting about how to do the laminating cotton, I appreciate it and your bag is just the best. Will you be having anymore patterns on here? I would love to try them. Here is the link for anyone needing it. http://bionicgearbag.com/laminating-...onic-gear-bag/
Grandmother in Arkansas
Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Banned

I might go on a mission today to find the PUL stuff. Having this be waterproofy for use with electronics bags that go to coffee shops would be awesome... as well as for cosmetic bag usage. I just want to feel the stuff to see what it's like. Assuming it's used for diaper covers, it must not be too thick, I wouldn't think.

And Grandmother - thanks - I really would hate to see anyone else take a shot at laminating all of it and be disappointed (like I was). I'm currently working up something that is going to launch in about 10 days. I'm going to figure out a way for all of those that already got the BGB pattern to get the two new ones for about a buck. Stay tuned.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 AM

I don't know about the fabric to make the bag, but I just bought the faux selvage fabric that the little bowl is made from last Saturday. I bought 9 different sewing themed fabrics and will make several of these bags from them.

I made a bag similar to this from a different pattern, but I like the way the front flap opens to lay flat. My daughter and grands are visiting, so I will have to wait until they leave to start on this project.

Originally Posted by mommysewist View Post
Looks like a great project! Do they mention where to buy that fabric? I love it!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 AM

As I recall from using cloth diapers 13 years ago, the pul is lighter than quilters cotton. It does come in cool colors and patterns.

Cheers, K
Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned

I did some embroidery today on light weight denim... and thinking of combining it with selvedges for an exterior. I saw someone online had some skull fabric that had little scissors under the skull (instead of cross bones)... that sure was cute!

I used selvedges on the interior of one bag - not sure I'll ever do that again, either. They didn't show up as much as I would have liked.

I also found this "Stitchy Witchy" fabric - it's got a fun sewing motif to it, too.

And Corgi...(love those dogs, btw - I have two long hair dachshunds - but dang, Corgis are adorable, too!)... Anyway, if it is that lightweight, then it probably would work for the exteriors and maybe the entire bag, too. I didn't make it out today to find the stuff locally (assuming maybe JoAnn's has it?)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Ripstitcher- I made all my son's diapers using PUL as the waterproof shell. The thickness can vary some depending on the quality. It's not too thick but you can NOT iron it. It's hard to work with because it's slippery and you can only use pins in the seam allowance (to keep it from leaking). That being said, I've also made simple makeup bags and dirty diaper bags out of it and I do love that they're waterproof. I know you're a fan of wonderclips too and I use them for "pinning" all my seams when I sew PUL. That way you don't have to worry about pin holes. PUL can come in limited prints but I use white a lot as a hidden waterproof layer and use my cotton fabric on the exterior. Hope this helps!

Eta: use a ballpoint needle and polyester thread when sewing PUL. Seal needle holes after sewing by 20 min in a hot dryer :-)

Last edited by mommysewist; 05-22-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:27 AM
Banned

Mommysewist...

I appreciate your input on all of this!

About ironing the PUL...

I guess the million dollar question is whether the stuff will crease with heat.... *IF*.... a person can use one of the silicone sheets to iron it.

When I use the laminate, I can still make a crease by using one of those silicone (at least that is what I think it's made of) ironing sheets (takes the place of a pressing cloth) to apply the heat so that the iron itself isn't hitting the laminate.

If it can't be creased, I wouldn't use it. JMO.

If you can seal needle holes with a dryer... how is this stuff through a regular clothes dryer?