Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil, where have you been all my life? >

Aurifil, where have you been all my life?

Aurifil, where have you been all my life?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:52 PM

When I bought my Viking Sapphire 930, the dealer told me to use only polyester thread. You are all talking about using cotton thread...have any other Viking owners, or for that matter anyone been told to use polyester only, but used cotton anyway?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I think the Viking dealer must have had a stock of polyester thread to sell. I don't know of *any* machine that won't sew with cotton thread!

It is true, however, that cotton thread will produce more lint; polyester is almost lint-free. The dealer may have been thinking that sewists do not know how to clean lint out of their machines with regularity. I know I have bought garage sale sewing machines with hard-packed lint underneath the feed dogs; no wonder the poor dears didn't sew well!!!

As long as you understand how to do routine cleaning of your machine, there's no reason to avoid cotton thread. I like Aurifil because it produces very little lint compared to other cotton threads I have tried (including Mettler silk-finish cotton).
Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 PM

No dealer should ever dictate the type of thread you use in your machine. Seriously!

I know of one dealer here who will yell at people for using pre-wound bobbins! As far as I'm concerned it's your machine, use what you want!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Only way to go ladies..........Aurifil. It keeps your machine cleaner too.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 PM

Oh I wish you would try it and let us know. I noticed right now they (connecting thread) has a sale going on for less than 2.00 a spool! Pretty colors as well. I'm just anxious about buying thread that may not perform as well. I know it sounds cray cray to be this gaga over thread, but it really is awesome. Sews beautifully, pieces perfectly, no breakage, my machine just humms, no snaggalies or nests when sewing or quilting. And NO tension issues!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:15 AM

Do I need to adjust my tension up or down to use this thread effectively?
Thanks!