Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do not throw your alpaca wool batting in the drier >

Do not throw your alpaca wool batting in the drier

Do not throw your alpaca wool batting in the drier

Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 PM

I think I would try soaking the quilt in a solution of hair conditioner and water in the bathtub over night, then drain the tub and let the water drain out of the fabric for a couple of hours, then block it. You may have to re-block several times with it is drying. I would do this before I rip it apart. Good luck with what ever you try.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

It was so sweet of him to want to help you. Just work on it a little each day and before you know it, it will be ready to quilt again.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 PM

I doubt the batting can be re-stretched/blocked but it's worth a try. The fibers hook onto each other as others have mentioned, just like little cockleburrs. It's sad, but the accident happened out of kindness. A fine pointed seam ripper with a nice fat ergonomic handle is about $5 reg price at JoAnns. 2 pairs of hands will make the work go faster, and a dose of forgiveness will smooth any wrinkles. Keep us posted- the quilt blocks look lovely.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:38 AM

Carolaug, Did you make the quilt? I have alpacas and I am having the wool made onto battin. May I ask where you got yours and how you have liked working with it? I have not had mine processed yet. Any info I would appreciate. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by DJRustic View Post
Carolaug, Did you make the quilt? I have alpacas and I am having the wool made onto battin. May I ask where you got yours and how you have liked working with it? I have not had mine processed yet. Any info I would appreciate. Thanks.
I bought the wool at a fiber fair a few years ago. It was easy to work with and quilt. I had no problem washing in cold water and line drying. It was very warm and we loved it. If you do not mind line drying than this batting is perfect.